Coach Traylor addresses media following win against Temple

Stephen Saenz

The Roadrunners got their second win of the season last Saturday against their first American Athletic Conference opponent, the Temple Owls. Head coach Jeff Traylor spoke on what transpired that allowed UTSA to get a big win on the road and the state of the team going forward. 

Coming into week five, UTSA (2-3, 1-0 AAC) was one of few teams in the nation that had yet to force a turnover. 

“Really pleased with how our defense caused three turnovers, one of them got called back but we did a great job,” Traylor said. 

Offensively the team has struggled all year, only scoring more than 20 points once in four games. 

“Offensively, it was the cleanest we have been all year,” Traylor added.

The UTSA offense had 495 yards of total offense and scored 49 points while having zero turnovers. 

“[I’m] really happy for my kids, to go on the road in weather that was not ideal. That is a big win to get under our belt to start off conference play,” Traylor said.

Star quarterback Frank Harris made his return this week and had an outstanding performance. 

“His presence calmed everyone and gave everyone confidence,” Traylor said.

Traylor knew going into the match that Harris was not going to be 100%. The coaching staff was going to have to try and balance Harris’ health while still pushing the ball down the field. 

“I was glad to see him get hit and get up and be confident about that,” Traylor said.

Traylor expects Harris to only get better as the season progresses, given that he can stay healthy. 

While Harris has returned and is recovering nicely, there are a few other players whose health remains a large question mark for the program. Veteran wide receiver De’Corian Clark has been week-to-week all season and has seen little to no game action yet. 

“It is all on the table, we are just trying to see if we can get him right,” Traylor said. “If he can not get [it] right he will come back and play again next season.” 

During the offseason, Clark seemed confident that he would be able to play in the opener, so the discussion of returning to UTSA for a fifth year is something to monitor. Traylor also mentioned that linebacker Trey Moore has a lingering ankle injury that will limit his mobility going forward, and that linebacker Pig Cage has a “long-term injury.”

The Roadrunners’ next matchup comes against a tough UAB team. 

“Other than Tennessee, it is the most explosive offense we have seen all year,” Traylor said. “We are going to have our hands full.” 

UTSA will be back in the Alamodome for the first time since Sept. 15 and will try to feed off an electric home crowd. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. Saturday, at the Alamodome and will be streamed on ESPN.