UTSA gets first victory over FAU, remains undefeated in AAC

Stephen Saenz
UTSA vs UAB, Oct. 14, 2023

BOCA RATON – Frank Harris threw for 261 yards on 26 of 35 passing with two touchdowns and two interceptions to lead UTSA past Florida Atlantic 36-10 on Saturday evening at Florida Atlantic Stadium. 

The Roadrunner (4-3, 3-0 AAC) defense had four sacks, two interceptions and held an explosive Owl offense to 162 total yards. 

The UTSA offense started the game with a near perfect drive.

Harris led UTSA down the field in 14 plays and capped off the drive with a 15-yard rushing touchdown from running back Robert Henry. 

Florida Atlantic (3-4, 2-1) responded with a 37-yard field goal from kicker Logan Lupo.

Harris threw his two interceptions on back-to-back drives that gave the Owls momentum, with one being returned for a touchdown by Owls defensive lineman Latrell Jean.

The Roadrunners responded with 22 unanswered points to get their first victory against Florida Atlantic.

The run started early in the second quarter when kicker Chase Allen nailed a 34-yard field goal. On UTSA’s next possession, Harris connected with receiver Willie Mccoy Jr on a 19-yard touchdown pass. 

UTSA handled business in the second half thanks to an outstanding defensive performance. This is the second straight game that the ‘Runners defense had multiple interceptions, after having zero in the first five games. UTSA also notched their first safety of the season, courtesy of defensive lineman Joe Evans. 

“I want everyone to keep talking about how bad we are,” UTSA coach Jeff Traylor said after the game. 

A late touchdown from running back Rocko Griffin would be the final nail in the coffin for the Owls as UTSA won its third straight game 36-10. 

UTSA is now on a 13 game winning streak against conference opponents, including two Conference USA championships. 

The Roadrunners will next face the East Carolina Pirates in the teams’ first ever meeting. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. Saturday, at the Alamodome.