Traylor discusses homecoming, last week’s win and athletics fee

UTSA to face East Carolina Saturday
Stephen Saenz

The Roadrunners got their third straight win last Saturday night after beating Florida Atlantic 36-10. UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor spoke to the media on Monday about what went right in the win, the student athletics fee and what to expect against ECU. 

After shutting down an explosive Owl offense, Traylor credited the defense as the main reason they were able to come away with the win.

“Our defense is just so dominant,” Traylor said. “Our communication and execution has been good.”

The UTSA (4-3, 3-0 AAC) defense was making plays all over the field against Florida Atlantic, forcing two interceptions and getting to the quarterback five times. A normally potent owls passing attack was held to just 142 yards and zero touchdowns. 

Traylor says the secret to the recent success of the defense is just practice. “You have to challenge yourself everyday, get on the practice field and just keep stacking days.”

As far as injuries, the Roadrunners came out of week seven relatively healthy. There were no new major injuries, and right now they are just focused on getting guys who were hurt in previous matchups back on the field. 

Traylor says veteran tackle Makai Hart will return “soon,” but not this week. Traylor also mentioned they are getting second opinions on De’Corian Clark’s injury. 

With the voting for increasing the student athletics fee opening this week, Traylor spoke on its significance for the program going forward. 

“In order for us to be competitive in the AAC we are going to need that,” Traylor said. “It is just a huge vote for us.”

The athletics department last attempted a fee increase in 2017 and the majority of students voted no. Since then, UTSA athletics — UTSA football especially — has enjoyed a large amount of success. Something students in 2017 had not experienced. Now with recruiting becoming tougher due to the new conference, the decision of students will have a lasting impact on the future of the program. 

Despite the looming implications of the athletic fee increase, the most important thing for Traylor right now is the upcoming matchup against East Carolina (1-6, 0-3). 

“Defensively they are top 30 in the nation, they have been in every single ball game,” Traylor said. “If we sleep on these guys they will come in here and embarrass us on homecoming.”

Traylor says playing smart and staying focused is the best way to ensure a win this weekend. The Roadrunners will be back in action at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, at the Alamodome.