UTSA dominates East Carolina in second half, to earn fourth straight conference win

Roadrunners undefeated in conference play
Dustin Vickers

SAN ANTONIO – UTSA continues their dominance in the AAC by beating conference opponent East Carolina Pirates 41-27 Saturday afternoon at the Alamodome. 

“It seemed like we played two games out there, it was a long, long football game,” said coach Traylor.

Taking over at their own 35-yard line, Frank Harris found receiver Devin McCuin for a 44-yard gain to set the Roadrunners up on East Carolina’s 1-yard line. Harris capped off the drive with a touchdown pass to Tykee Ogle-Kellogg.

In a tied 7-7 ballgame, Harris found receiver Joshua Cephus crossing up the middle for a 65-yard gain. On the next play, running back Robert Henry capitalized with a 10-yard touchdown rush.

After the Pirates (1-7, 0-4) kicked a 33-yard field goal, Harris returned to the field and threw an interception to Dontavius Nash. The safety returned the pick 35 yards for the score and to put the Pirates up 17-14.

The ‘Runners responded with back-to-back scoring drives.

Running back Robert Griffin ran 69 yards up the left sideline to set up the offense on the East Carolina 6-yard line. The drive was capped off by a 27-yard field goal from Chase Allen to tie the game at 17.

On the next drive, Harris found Cephus open near the left sideline for an 84-yard touchdown, the longest reception in school history.

Harris had a 7-yard pass to tight end Oscar Cardenas in the end zone to head into halftime with 274 yards and three touchdown passes. Harris connected with Cephus for 184 yards on four targets and a touchdown in the first half.

Defense tightened things up allowing only one touchdown in the waning seconds of the fourth quarter. Harris finished the game going 20-31 on 395 yards and four touchdowns, with two of them falling into the hands of Ogle-Kellogg. 

“It was really good to see a kid like Tykee, he wasn’t getting all the attention, really proud of Tykee,” said coach Traylor.

Trey Moore had a big game finishing with three sacks and five solo tackles. Moore broke the Roadrunner’s single-season sack record with 12 sacks overall this season

“All the work I’ve put in and seeing it come to fruition, it means alot,” said Moore.

UTSA will next face North Texas at 2 p.m. Saturday at Apogee Stadium.