What to know about UTSA tailgating

Gameday at the Alamodome can be an amazing experience. Roadrunner tents completely cover all of Lots B and C. The smell of barbecue permeates throughout the entire area. However, just like most things in life, being unprepared can negatively alter your experience. So here are three things to know about tailgating from some long-time UTSA tailgaters. 

Ben and Robert Briseno are two die-hard UTSA fans who just happen to also be father and son. Ben was a student in the early 80’s and has been supporting ever since. His son Robert is currently a junior at UTSA and has been a fan long before he was enrolled. Starting way back in 2011 and now 12 years strong, this duo knows a thing or two about how to tailgate at the Alamodome. 

Staying cool 

While it may be a cool 70 degrees inside the Alamodome, the same can not be said for the outdoors. When you mix alcohol and high temperatures it can be a recipe for disaster. Having a good tent to provide adequate shade can play a large part in not overheating. Underestimating the San Antonio heat would also be a rookie mistake, on top of having a good tent tailgaters should also have a fan or two. 

“You have to have something to keep you cool when it is September,” Ben said. 

Multiple parking spaces 

If you want to enjoy tailgating to the fullest, having space is essential. Most people are not tailgating by themselves. You want to be surrounded by family and friends and also have enough space to account for people who come over to be friendly and share a drink. Having two spaces allows you to have enough seating for fellow UTSA fans, room for any barbecue pits, TVs and anything else you want under your tent. 

The UTSA community is a family

Tailgating is not solely about setting up your spot and staying there the whole time. Moving around and interacting with your fellow tailgaters is what makes the experience fun. Everyone around you is there because they love UTSA football just as much as you do. 

“The whole UTSA community is very accepting, it is a shared sense of camaraderie,” Robert said. 

There are commercial tailgates set up all around the lots and those are good places to get free food and drinks, all you have to do is ask. 

“Anybody that comes up and wants a drink is welcome, because it is a family,” Ben added.  

It is never too late to join in on the fun. The Roadrunners have two home games left in the 2023 season. They play Rice on Saturday, Nov. 11 and South Florida on Nov. 17 at the Alamodome.