UTSA rushing attack defeats North Texas in Denton

Roadrunners earn their first win in Denton since 2013
Courtesy of UTSA Athletics

DENTON – UTSA football remains undefeated in conference play after beating American Athletic Conference opponent North Texas Mean Green 37-29 Saturday afternoon at DATCU Stadium. 

With the win, the Roadrunners (6-3, 5-0 AAC) became bowl-eligible for a fourth consecutive season.

“It was as good as we could play in the first half; I don’t think we punted,” UTSA Head Coach Jeff Traylor said. “It was a really remarkable job.”

UTSA opened the game with a Brandon Brown sack and a forced fumble. Running back Kevorian Barnes scored the first touchdown of the day after his 17-yard rush set up a 3-yard touchdown run, giving the ‘Runners a 7-0 lead.

North Texas (3-6, 2-3) receiver Jordan Smart fumbled and was recovered at the 5-yard line by defensive lineman Trumane Bell II. A 29-yard rush by running back Rocko Griffin set up a Chase Allen field goal, making the score 10-0. 

At the start of the second quarter, North Texas put their first points on the board with a 25-yard field goal. 

On the next drive, Barnes had a 44-yard rush to set up an 11-yard touchdown run by running back Robert Henry, bringing the Roadrunners’ lead to 17-3. North Texas responded with a 32-yard rushing touchdown. 

Two 20-yard plus receptions by tight end Oscar Cardens and receiver Joshua Cephus gave way for a 7-yard Griffin touchdown.

In the waning seconds of the second quarter, quarterback Frank Harris ran up the left side for a 30-yard gain, setting up another Allen field goal and extending the lead to 27-13 going into the half. 

In the second half, linebacker Trey Moore intercepted a North Texas pass at the 25-yard line, allowing a third Allen field goal. North Texas rallied in the fourth quarter, scoring two touchdowns and converting both 2-point tries. 

A 78-yard interception return by Donyai Taylor gave Barnes his second touchdown of the game. 

Barnes led the rushing offense with 129 yards on 16 carries and two touchdowns. All three running backs found the end zone today, scoring all four Roadrunner touchdowns. 

The Roadrunner defense ended the day with three sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble.

“You want to put yourself in the best position in November. Coach Traylor preaches to us [that] November [and] December is when you want to play your best ball,” Taylor said. 

UTSA will return home to play the Rice Owls at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Alamodome.