SA gems: hot new KPOT

Kayla McCutcheon

You may have noticed a bear mascot around campus promoting a new restaurant, KPOT, a hands-on all-you-can-eat chain restaurant that expanded into San Antonio this past month. They offer hot pot or Korean barbeque for $35 per person or $40 per person for both.

Hot pot includes selecting a soup base and ordering an assortment of meat, vegetables and noodles to cook in the soup base at the table. As the food cooks, check out their buffet to make a sauce from one of their recommended recipes, or create a new one. The buffet also includes premade sides to go along with the feast. With such a variety of options to order from, there is certainly something for everyone to enjoy.

The Korean barbeque is also cooked by the customers using the tables’ built-in grill. Like the hotpot, there are also several selections of meats and vegetables. As the grill starts getting some built-up food on it, they recommend clearing it off by cooking an onion and spraying more oil on the grill. They also bring out a pair of scissors to cut the meat once it is cooked. There is a $14 fee for each pound of meat left at the end of the meal, but that can be easily managed by ordering more food throughout instead of all at once, especially since the servers check in often to ensure that everything is going well.

Additionally, when someone in the restaurant has a birthday, one or two people in cute bear costumes along with a group of servers, will parade to the table to sing “Happy Birthday,” and they receive their meal for free if they bring at least six guests on their actual birthday.

Located off of  I-10 and De Zavala, KPOT is a great restaurant to check out and a unique experience for any group of two or more. Their website describes the environment as “modernized with a full bar and nightlife atmosphere.” The experience can either be done family style or individually, but family style allows for everyone to try more options. They are open from 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM from Sunday to Thursday and stay open until 11:00 PM on Fridays and Saturdays. Although they seat on a first come first served basis with no reservations, the wait is well worth the quality of food and service there.