Stop Fortnite’s fueling of climate change

Mariana Ramos

Correction: Per Epic Games, the Shell Ultimate Road Trips marketing campaign is not a Fortnite/Shell collaboration or partnership, but is an independently created Fortnite Experience. Epic Games does not sponsor, support or administer this ad campaign.

In 2017, Fortnite’s Battle Royale game mode was released, and since then has become one of the most popular video games of all time. Being prevalent among a diverse range of players and heavily influencing pop culture, developer Epic Games’ pet project turned into a machine, raking in $26 billion in profit since its initial release. With the absurd profits Fortnite was generating, it was only a matter of time until the game would garner internet-breaking in-game collaborations with Marvel, Dragon Ball and Basquiat, to name a few. 

Fortnite’s most recent collaboration seems to come straight out of left field, as they have collaborated with Shell — a multibillion-dollar oil and gas company. While in previous seasons gamers would ask their squad if they would like to drop at “Tilted Towers,” now they can ask them which Shell gas station they would like to fill up at.

Fornite’s recent collaboration with Shell is known as “Shell Ultimate Roadtrips.” In the collaboration, gamers may play on the custom Shell island — using island code 0314-6322-8548  — via Fortnite’s creative mode platform. Joining the game will allow players to drive and race around scenic roads across six different types of terrain, all powered by Shell’s new “Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium” gasoline. 

With younger generations becoming increasingly vocal about political issues such as climate change, it has become increasingly harder for companies such as Shell to gain their support. It is no wonder that Shell would target youth to show fossil fuels in a positive light; if their car in Fortnite drives faster on Shell’s new premium gas, imagine how fast mom’s minivan could go? 

Shell’s collaboration with Epic Games and Fortnite is blatant propagandizing. With the lack of support for new fossil fuel projects from youth, companies have to become creative with their marketing. If someone that children look up to, such as a Fortnite content creator, showcases something in a positive light, their young audiences will be swayed into supporting it much easier. This collaboration feels like the modern-day equivalent of Joe Camel, while instead of making cigarettes seem cool to minors, it is non-renewable fuel sources.

With all the influence that Epic Games has with Fortnite, it is a shame to see them partner with corporations that care for nothing except their profits.