Back to the hard knocks

‘Annie’ dipped the stage in nostalgia, bringing the original film to life
Photo by Evan Zimmerman for MurphyMade

“Yesterday was plain awful, but that’s not now, that’s then.”

“Annie” has made its way to the Majestic Theatre to bring smiles and laughter to the crowd. With a company of talented kids and a real-life dog, audience members are bound to leave the theatre feeling giddy with excitement. 

The musical takes place in 1933, following a little red-headed orphan named Annie. Unlike the other orphans, Annie is convinced that her parents are coming back for her. It has been 11 years since Annie’s parents dropped her off at the orphanage with a note explaining that they would be back. Annie has remained hopeful that they will return.

Annie is given an opportunity to spend two weeks during the Christmas season with billionaire Oliver Warbucks, who immediately takes an interest in the fiery orphan. Even as Annie grows comfortable in the large mansion, she constantly thinks of her parents and wonders where they are. 

Filling Annie’s shoes is no easy feat, but the 11-year-old, Rainier Treviño, did it with poise and confidence that radiated throughout the entire production. Even at such a young age, Treviño was undoubtedly the most eye-catching actor who walked the stage on opening night. 

To counter Treviño’s stellar performance, Stephanie Londino continually throws zingers and one-liners that cause the audience to erupt in laughter. In her role as Ms. Hannigan, Londino’s main job is to antagonize Annie and the rest of the orphanage, making her character unlikable yet entertaining to watch.

Photo by Evan Zimmerman for MurphyMade

While Terviño and Londino were by far the most notable cast members, it is important to mention the fantastic ensemble of little girls that played orphans alongside Annie. These girls were funny, charismatic and shockingly on-point. Not once was a beat or line missed within this ensemble; the famous line “Thank you, Ms. Hannigan” rang just as it did in 1982. 

It is no assumption that the audience left this performance drenched in nostalgia for the original 1982 film that has stuck with people for decades. Seeing the film brought to life was a privilege you too can enjoy this week. “Annie” the musical will continue to take the stage for one more night right here in San Antonio before traveling to its next destination. Tickets can be purchased at the Majestic Theatre box office or through their website, with their final performance at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 12.