Failing graduation rate fails the students

Caroline Puckett

UTSA’s graduation rate is a failing grade of 42.1%. While this disappointing percentage can be somewhat attributed to students in the Coordinated Admission Program (CAP) at UT Austin, a low rate is still unacceptable. In comparison, UT Austin has a graduation rate well above ours, at 85.4%. In 2011, UTSA created a plan to raise its graduation rate, which it met, but more needs to be done to continue its growth.

Many UTSA students are against the CAP because of the damage it does by lowering graduation rates and contributing to CAP students’ notorious lack of involvement on campus. While data excluding CAP students does show an increase in the university’s graduation rates, the change is not substantial. In 2015, there was talk of UTSA phasing out the CAP by 2017, although there seems to be no current plans to accomplish this. The graduation rate may have increased by over 20% since 2015, but that does not mean these plans should no longer be in place as part of a way to improve the university.

The current graduation rate, combined with the fact that UTSA has yet to make a new plan or recent attempt to raise it, is an abomination. The university is failing itself and its students with its low graduation rate. UTSA must recognize that they are below the national average for public universities and Hispanic students. In response to improving graduation rates among low-income, first-generation and transfer students, Tammy Wyatt, Ph.D., the vice provost of Student Success, said, “I think UTSA is a model institution for what other institutions will look like in the future first.” That sounds great, but UTSA is not the best option for an example right now. They nearly tripled the graduation rate within a decade, but should continue this growth until they can at least make it to the national average for public universities of 63%.

UTSA’s graduation rate is an embarrassment to the UT system, so they need to make use of their resources and do better. An old plan from 2011 with timetables that go up to the fall of 2014 can only get them so far. The university appears to have given up with no signs of trying to make advancements. UTSA should strive to be better for its community, and improving its graduation rates would help in many ways.