Off to a cold start

Holiman’s career-high 22 points comes in UTSA’s second straight loss

Sophomore guard Adante’ Holiman’s career-high 22 points came in a losing effort as UTSA lost its second game of the season 82-90 to Lamar on Tuesday night at the Montagne Center. 

After winning their opening game of the season in overtime against Western Illinois, the Roadrunners (1-2) dropped two games on the road, including the eight-point loss to the Cardinals (3-1) in Beaumont.

Holiman got going early in the first half, scoring eight of the team’s first 12 points. Center Trey Edmonds also contributed to the first-half effort, posting eight points and seven rebounds. 

Despite UTSA’s scoring, Lamar continued to remain in the game with an array of 3-pointers and layups. Exchanging offensive jabs throughout the first half, there were five instances where the score was tied and three lead changes within the period. 

The Roadrunners were able to produce a 40-point first-half performance, with 20 bench points and 14 points from inside the paint. The team led the Cardinals 40-39 with 2.4 seconds left in the half when Cardinal’s guard Ja’Sean Jackson hit a buzzer-beating three to take a 42-40 halftime lead. 

UTSA finished the opening period trailing Lamar in both points and rebounds, as they were outrebounded 27-25.

The second half began with Lamar going on a quick 6-4 scoring run to lead the Roadrunners 48-44. 

The Cardinals quickly broke into a full-court zone press, causing the ‘Runners to commit 10 total turnovers. UTSA managed to keep the game close through numerous scoring plays.

Lamar’s four-point lead was shortened by Holiman who scored an and-1 layup and a 3-pointer to lead the Cardinals 50-49. Holiman continued to lead the scoring charge for the team and put up 22 total points on 7 of 16 shooting. Edmonds continued to add to his first-half statistics as he scored 12 points and snagged 12 rebounds for the game. 

On the defensive side of the ball, UTSA found itself playing a conventional 2-3 zone to combat Lamar’s inside scoring. The Roadrunners were able to hold their opponent to a 35% field goal percentage but allowed the Cardinals to shoot 38% from the 3-point line.

The game continued to remain close throughout the second period as no team led by more than 10 throughout the contest. 

With 3:13 left in the ballgame, the scoring leader Holiman left the floor after a collision going for a loose ball. Despite his return, the Roadrunners only managed to put up three points in the last three minutes of the second period. With the Cardinals hitting 10 of their 11 free throws down the stretch, Lamar was able to edge out the Roadrunners 90-82. 

UTSA will look to rebound against Texas State at 7:15 p.m. Friday at Bobcat Stadium.