Women’s basketball completes 13 point comeback to top Islanders in OT

Kyra White’s team-leading 18 point game led the ‘Runners to victory
Courtesy of UTSA Athletics

UTSA’s women’s basketball team won its second game of the season behind senior guard Kyra White’s 18 points against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Wednesday night at the Dugan Wellness Center. 

White played a game-high 42 minutes in the 66-59 overtime comeback victory. Junior forward Elyssa Coleman and sophomore guard Sidney Love added 14 points and 10 points, respectively, en route to the Roadrunner’s (2-1) highest-scoring effort of the season.

Trailing by 13 points after three quarters, UTSA turned things around in the final frame to complete the comeback. 

The Roadrunners upped their efforts on the defensive end, holding the Islanders scoreless for the first five minutes of the quarter. UTSA took the lead, 53-51, after a made jump shot from White with 45 seconds remaining in regulation. A&M-Corpus Christi senior guard Paige Allen iced two free throws with nine seconds to tie the game at 53 and send it to overtime. 

The Roadrunners outscored the Islanders 13-6 in the extra period.

Love made the first two points from the free-throw line, followed by a Coleman layup to put the ‘Runners up by four. Sophomore forward Cheyenne Rowe made a layup of her own before A&M-Corpus Christi made two free throws, to which sophomore guard Siena Guttadauro responded for UTSA with a 3-pointer to make the score 62-55.

Proctor and Love made a combined three free throws alongside two baskets from the Islanders to ice the game and complete the comeback. 

The game was led by White who finished with a strong game-high 18 points, shooting 3 of 6 from beyond the arc and tagging along six rebounds and five assists. Despite the sluggish team shooting performance, shooting 37.5% from the floor and 28% from three, UTSA held A&M Corpus Christi to 39% from the field and 21% from three. Wednesday’s win gives the Roadrunners an official two-game win streak.

UTSA will continue its four-game road trip against UT Arlington, Texas Tech and Sam Houston before returning to San Antonio later this month. The Roadrunners will host Texas State in the Battle of I-35 at 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 30, at the Convocation Center.