UTSA wins seventh consecutive conference game

Frank Harris and Joshua Cephus break school records

UTSA’s Frank Harris left it all on the field Friday night in his final game at the Alamodome.

The seventh year, veteran quarterback amassed 523 yards and six touchdowns to lead the Roadrunners to a 49-21 victory over South Florida, making it the seventh straight win for UTSA with a week left in the regular season.

The Bulls (5-6, 3-4 AAC) got on the scoreboard first with a 16-yard rushing touchdown from Nay’Quan Wright. The Roadrunners (8-3, 7-0) quickly responded with a 30-yard touchdown pass from Harris to receiver Devin McCuin. 

South Florida scored off a 50-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Byrum Brown to receiver Yusuf Terry early in the second quarter. From then on, it was all UTSA.

Harris connected with Tykee Ogle-Kellogg for a 33-yard score before finding receiver Joshua Cephus for a 64-yard score the next drive. Harris capitalized the dominant quarter with a 15-yard touchdown run to take the ‘Runners into the locker room up 28-14.

Harris kept his foot on the gas to open the second half, breaking loose for a 40-yard touchdown run.

“Coach talks about the ‘middle eight’ all the time. The last four minutes in the first half and the first four minutes of the second half,” Harris said. “He always said that’s the most important part of the game. To get momentum and just to get everything going and went out to execute right before halftime and we came up at the ball first and executed.”

UTSA back Robert Henry capped off another Roadrunner drive with a 2-yard score before South Florida scored its final touchdown with a 5-yard touchdown rush from Brown.

Harris scored the game’s final points early in the fourth quarter with a 25-yard touchdown rush.

Cephus, who likely played his final game at the Alamodome, was emotional when asked about having a second chance on the field after his DWI from last December.

“Just seeing the kids tonight. It definitely helped me realize again how important what I’m doing is, so I just want to thank Jesus Christ,” Cephus said.

UTSA coach Traylor was also pleased with his defensive effort.

“So excited about my defense battling. That’s tough,” Traylor said. “They snapped it so fast. I’m proud of them.”

Though an emotional win, the season is far from over for the ‘Runners.

UTSA will play No. 17 Tulane at 2:30 p.m. Friday at Yulman Stadium.