The top five plays of Frank Harris’s career at UTSA

Quarterback+Frank+Harris+drops+back+for+a+pass.+Harris+threw+for+a+program+record+392+yards%2C+along+with+four+touchdowns.+
Stephen Saenz
Quarterback Frank Harris drops back for a pass. Harris threw for a program record 392 yards, along with four touchdowns.

With Frank Harris having played his final home game against South Florida on Friday night, his historic career with the Roadrunners is coming to a close. Here are the top five plays of Harris’s tenure with UTSA.

5. Harris’s 63-yard rushing touchdown against Rice (2022)

Part of what makes Harris great is his ability to make plays with his legs. With a trip to the Conference-USA Championship on the line, Harris delivered with the longest rushing touchdown of his career. Just seven minutes into the game Harris took the snap and rolled right looking to pass. With no one open downfield Harris cut back left, turned on the jets and out ran the entire Owls defense for the score. The Roadrunners would never look back and secured the win 41-7, earning a spot in their second consecutive championship game.

4. Harris connects with De’Corian Clark for a 10-yard score against North Texas (2022) 

Homecoming week 2022 the Roadrunners hosted their rival UNT Mean Green and found themselves down three with just over a minute remaining. After driving down the field dramatically, Harris threw a jump ball to receiver Clark for an acrobatic game-winning touchdown catch. The win would push UTSA to 4-0 in conference play and the Roadrunners would go on to win their second C-USA championship in two years.

3. Harris’s 24-yard rushing touchdown against Western Kentucky (2021) 

After a historic 11-1 season, the Roadrunners would appear in their first-ever conference championship game. The Alamodome was host to 41,000 fans, at the time the third largest in program history. Without any championship experience and a second-year head coach, no one knew what to expect out of UTSA. After a 60-yard touchdown in the first minute from Western Kentucky quarterback Bailey Zappe, it was up to this inexperienced squad to respond and respond they did. Harris led a two-minute, 75-yard drive that Harris capped off by himself. A typical three-step drop turned into a quarterback draw, Harris blew past defenders and walked in untouched. Harris finished with three total touchdowns and the Roadrunners were champs for the first time in team history.

2. Harris finds Oscar Cardenas for a 33-yard gain against UNT (2022)

Following a very close conversion on fourth down that would have ended the game had the Roadrunners not converted, The Roadrunners were going to need a miracle to survive. On the very next play, Harris took the snap, scanned the field and threw a strike down the seam for Cardenas. Cardenas made a spectacular one-handed grab and put UTSA on the UNT 10-yard line. With the game on the line, 30 seconds remaining, against a bitter rival, Harris did not blink. UTSA would go on to get the walk-off win, thanks to the outstanding leadership and poise from Harris.

1. Harris’s 1-yard passing touchdown to Oscar Cardenas against UAB (2021) 

Coming off a 10-0 start to the season, the No. 22-ranked Roadrunners were trailing UAB by four with 1:06 left in the match. On the final drive, Harris drove the UTSA offense down to the 1-yard line. With nine seconds remaining Harris rolled left and attempted a pass to Joshua Cephus that fell incomplete. On the final offensive play of the game, Harris muffed the snap, recovered and floated a pass for Cardenas. The pass was tipped mid-air yet found its way into the hands of the big tight end for the score. The Roadrunners had survived and their dream season would continue.