Roadrunners unable to overcome turnovers in regular season finale

UTSA loses its first conference game against Tulane
Jonathan Porter

NEW ORLEANS – UTSA’s seven game win streak came to an end on Friday, as the Roadrunners had five turnovers in a 29-16 loss to No. 23 Tulane at Yulman Stadium.

UTSA senior quarterback Frank Harris had the first two giveaways of the game with a pair of interceptions. Harris, who finished the night completing 25 of 38 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown, took the blame for the ‘Runners 13-point loss.

“Coming out there and throwing two interceptions is unacceptable by me,” Harris said. “We have to learn from it and get better from it.”

Entering Friday’s game, the Roadrunners (8-4, 7-1 AAC) and the Green Wave (11-1, 8-0) were two of the three undefeated teams in the American Athletic Conference, making the regular season finale a highly anticipated matchup. 

With the loss, UTSA’s quest for a third consecutive conference title is officially over.

“We are extremely disappointed, you can’t get anymore disappointed then we are,” UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor said.

Four of the ‘Runners five turnovers came in the first half.

Harris’ first interception came on the game’s opening drive, setting the Tulane offense up on UTSA’s own 10-yard line. Green Wave senior quarterback Michael Pratt found freshman receiver Chris Brazzell II in the end zone for the game’s first points.

Trailing 7-0, the ‘Runners scored 10 straight points to take the lead.

Sophomore running back Rocko Griffin ran a 23-yard touchdown to tie the game and junior kicker Chase Kicker knocked through a 40-yarder for the three-point lead.

The Roadrunners were held scoreless until 1:33 left in the fourth quarter when Harris completed a 9-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Oscar Cardenas.

The Green Wave scored 16 unanswered points to take a 23-10 halftime lead. 

Tulane senior kicker Valentino Ambrosio made a pair of field goals before freshman running back Makhi Hughes punched in a 2-yard touchdown run. Ambrosio ended the half with a 23-yard field goal. Pratt reconnected with Brazzell II with a 3-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

UTSA allowed the Green Wave 16 points off the Roadrunners turnovers, including two trips inside the Tulane 10-yard line, though they walked away with zero points.

“[On] offense, we played terrible,” Harris said. “We can’t win a game with five turnovers.”

Though a disappointing end to the regular season, the ‘Runners season is not yet over.

Having become bowl eligible for the fourth straight season with the 37-29 win over North Texas on Nov. 4, UTSA awaits the college football selection day to find out when and where its bowl game will be played and against who. Selection day will be on Sunday, Dec. 3.

“That is our only focus at this point,” said UTSA safety senior Rashad Wisdom. “[Just] waiting to see what bowl we are going to get.”