Men’s basketball defeats Incarnate Word in Cardinal Classic

Adante’ Holiman scores 21 points in thrilling win
Courtesy of UTSA Athletics

SAN ANTONIO — UTSA defeated Incarnate Word 90-80 on Saturday afternoon in the Convocation Center. The team was led in scoring by guard Adante’ Holiman, who put up 21 points on 50% shooting. 

“I thought our energy was pretty good today, we played hard,” UTSA head coach Steve Henson said. 

The Roadrunners started strong with a Trey Edmonds layup and Dre Fuller Jr. and-one to start the game. Despite their start, the team fell to an early deficit as they trailed 16-21 at the 10-minute mark of the first half. The Roadrunners found themselves struggling from three, as they shot a combined 12.5% from beyond the arc in the first period. 

The Roadrunners managed to hold the Cardinals to 33 points at the half. Playing an aggressive man defense, the team was able to generate eight Cardinal turnovers in the first period. 

“Defense is something you have to want to do, if you have one person step up others will too and that leads to transition points,” guard Isaiah Wyatt said. 

The Roadrunners went on a quick scoring run to take the lead back 29-23 at the three-minute mark of the first period as they converted Incarnate Word turnovers to quick fastbreak points. Guards Wyatt and Patrick Thomas Carter led the team in the first half scoring seven points each. The Roadrunners’ lead was quickly overtaken by a 40-second 8-0 Cardinal scoring stretch. Through Holimans and center Carlton Linguard Jr. scoring, the Roadrunners were able to finish the first half tied with Incarnate Word 33-33. 

UTSA began the second half with a quick transition three from Holiman. Continuing to score through cutting layups and transition points, the team took a quick 52-43 lead at the 13-minute mark of the second period. Despite UIW’s own scoring runs, the Roadrunners managed to hold onto their lead through their pick-and-roll style offense. 

The scoring continued for UTSA, as Carter managed to finish layups around the rim while also hitting catch-and-shoot threes from the wing. With two minutes left in the game, Cardinal guard Sky Wicks committed a technical foul after a scuffle with guard Christian Tucker. Tucker connected on the free throws and managed to score a tough layup immediately after the inbounding play. 

Through a fast-paced offense, the Cardinals managed to quickly cut the lead to eight with 29 seconds left in the game. Fouling UTSA each possession, four different Roadrunners shot free throws within the game’s final minute. A pair of Tucker free throws sealed the game for the team, as the Roadrunners defeated the Cardinals 90-80 in the Convocation Center. 

UTSA will play its next game against Lamar at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Convocation Center.