UTSA drops to UAB in conference opener

Jordan Ivy-Curry scores 20 in back-to-back games
Rylan Renteria

In their conference opener, UTSA fell to UAB 76-78 in the Convocation Center. Jordan Ivy-Curry led all scorers with 20 points off the bench, with Christain Tucker and Dre Fuller Jr also adding 15 points each. The game proved to be a shootout, as both teams exchanged scoring blows throughout each half. While UTSA forced 20 turnovers and recorded nine steals, the team was unable to hang onto their lead late in the second half. 

Starting center Trey Edmonds got things started for the Roadrunners, scoring an inside layup off of a Tucker assist. The score came three minutes into the ball game, as UTSA would start off missing six straight shot attempts. Despite the slow start, the Roadrunners would go on a quick 7-0 run to take a two-point lead early in the contest. Trailing early, UAB broke into a full-court zone pressure defense which shifted into a 1-3-1 zone once past half-court. The defense proved to be ineffective, with the home team only committing five turnovers in the first half. 

“For the most part our guys handled it well I thought, we have enough guys that can make plays”, Coach Steve Henson said of UTSA’s offense against the press. 

Offensively the team was led in first-half scoring by Jordan Ivy-Curry. Coming off the bench the guard scored 10 in the opening period including two deep threes from way beyond the arc. Tucker also added to the team’s scoring output, contributing nine points along with two steals and a block. Nearly every active Roadrunner scored within the game’s first half, as the zone defense prompted extensive ball movement and passing from the UTSA offense. The Roadrunners would finish up the opening period leading UAB 40-39

The second half began with a three-pointer from guard Isaiah Wyatt. With UAB switching back to a man defense, UTSA would revert to running the screen and roll offense the team has run a majority of the year. Despite back-and-forth scoring, a quick five-point burst from Dre Fuller Jr would give the Roadrunners the lead halfway through the second period. Fuller Jr continued to score for the team but would leave the game at the 10-minute mark with an apparent ankle injury. With his exit from the game, Curry would pick up where he left off in the first half, adding 10 to his 20-point total. 

“I know my coaches and teammates trust me to make plays down the stretch, I’m a playmaker”, Curry said on his offensive play throughout the game.

The game continued to remain close, with UTSA and UAB both delivering offensive blows in the second half.  With three minutes remaining, guard Adante’ Holiman would be forced to leave the game after suffering a leg injury on a fouled three-point attempt. The starter would hit two of his three free throws before heading to the trainer’s table. 

A reverse layup by Tucker gave the Roadrunners the lead with 1:30 left in the contest, though it was quickly countered with two UAB free throws. The lead would change four times in the game’s final minute, with each team finding ways to score in the closing seconds. A mid-range jumper from UAB guard Efrem Johnson would give the Blazers the lead with two seconds left. Effectively ending the game, the Roadrunners would fail to create a last-second shot attempt, as their final play of the game resulted in a turnover. 

UTSA now drops to 0-1 in conference play after losing 76-78 to UAB. They will look to bounce back against Rice on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the Tudor Fieldhouse.