Keep swiping for love

Lauren Stein

As Valentine’s Day approaches, those who lack any romantic commitments are turning to dating apps — a modern form of dating. While there are success stories, how impactful can these apps really be? 

In 1995, the world was introduced to Match.com, the first dating website to take off. Finally, a place for adult singles to go and find love. It seemed like a good idea, so the industry continued to slowly evolve. In 2012, the now-famous Tinder was founded, introducing a fancy “swiping” matching system. Through left and right swipes, online dating has become easier than ever. The app was designed to provide a “fast viewing rate,” giving users a chance to find fast love. 

That same year, Hinge was born. Much like Tinder, Hinge introduced new features to the online dating scene. Rather than physical attraction, Hinge focused its algorithm on “interest-based relationships.” It prides itself on matching like-minded individuals in the hopes of them forming a bond beyond physical attraction. Both apps serve the same purpose but offer different methods, allowing users to determine what works best for them. 

According to a Forbes Health survey conducted in August 2023, “nearly 70% of individuals who met someone on a dating app said it led to a romantic, exclusive relationship.” Forbes painted dating apps in a very positive light, claiming that most people do not have any complaints, especially those aged between 42 and 56. 

While most people have no problem securing a date on the apps, a high percentage of couples do not stay together or go exclusive at all. Tech Report explains how 90% of Tinder matches went on a date in the first week, but only 27% actually made it to the altar. On the other hand, Hinge has a much higher success rate than its competitors, with 90% of its matched users staying together. 

Dating is not like it used to be — but that does not have to be a bad thing. The stigma surrounding online dating is nasty and outrageous, considering the digital age we are living in. Do not let the fear of rejection stop you from trying something new. Rejection is possible on the apps, but rejection is possible when dating organically too, so why not take a step out of your comfort zone?