How will the NFL conference championship round play out?

The divisional round of the NFL playoffs officially concluded Sunday night, with the Chiefs advancing to their sixth straight AFC title game after the Lions escaped with a win over the Buccaneers. 

Here is how we predict next Sunday’s matchup will unfold. 

Detroit Lions vs. San Francisco 49ers 

On paper, the Lions and the 49ers are very similar teams — two stacked rosters with great head coaches and middle-of-the-pack quarterbacks. Both starting quarterbacks are below average when faced with adversity, yet what separates the two teams is how hard it is to apply that same adversity to San Francisco. The 49ers have five players graded in the top five at their position per PFF, and while Detroit has a great team, it is just a little under the level of the Niners. With a slight edge in talent, a more quarterback-friendly scheme and a little more playoff experience, expect the 49ers to reach their second Super Bowl in four years. 

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Baltimore Ravens 

While the NFC championship game is two average quarterbacks with great rosters facing off, the script is flipped for the AFC. Arguably the two best quarterbacks in the game will meet for the first time in the postseason. The Ravens have the better roster by a good margin, but the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes, who has now reached the AFC championship game in each of his six seasons as a starter. No matter the opponent, it is hard to bet against Mahomes, who currently boasts an 8-3 record in the playoffs, with his only losses coming to Tom Brady and Joe Burrow. Directly contradicting the last sentence, Baltimore is the pick to move on to the Super Bowl. Lamar Jackson and the Ravens defense are simply too good of a pairing to not win this game. It will be close, and it is anything but a sure thing. However, the Ravens should be headed back to the Super Bowl for the first time in 12 years.