Runners’ road struggles continue

Men’s basketball falls to 1-7 on the road
Courtesy of UTSA Athletics

Coming off of its third straight conference loss, UTSA now finds itself 1-7 in away games this season. A problem that has plagued the team all year long, the Roadrunners have struggled to collect quality wins on the road this year. Whether it is a lack of defensive execution or turnovers in crucial moments, it is safe to say that UTSA certainly has a road problem. 

Though there are an assortment of reasons for the abysmal road record, one of the biggest seems to be the Roadrunner’s defense. On the side of the court, where the team usually hangs its hat, UTSA has continually failed to stop the opposing team from scoring. Whether it is allowing uncontested shots or bailing out the opponent with a cheap shooting foul, UTSA has consistently left its defense in baggage claim in almost every away game this year. 

While there is no shortage of defensive effort on the court, it is the team’s execution that has severely lacked on the road. Often, players post an incredible defensive possession, only for it to be scrapped by a shooting, reaching or loose ball foul. 

With the lack of road defense, the Roadrunners have been no stranger to playing from behind this season, as they are often thrown into quick deficits minutes into each game. While the team has managed to make miraculous comebacks at home, they have continued to struggle, to regain and hold leads late in ballgames. Such was the case in the overtime loss to Memphis, where the Roadrunners failed to hold on to a four-point lead with a mere minute left in regulation. 

Defensive execution is not all that has plagued the ‘Runners this year, as turnover problems have consistently reared their head on the road. Averaging 11.9 turnovers per game, the team often finds itself struggling to take care of the ball throughout games. The issue has also heavily contributed to UTSA’s inability to win on the road. 

Traveling to South Florida for their next game, the team will look to steal a road win against a 10-5 Bulls team. The contest is set to be a challenging one, as South Florida holds an 8-2 record at home. 

UTSA should have no trouble scoring the ball, as they average just about 79 points per game. The real challenge lies in the team’s ability to execute defensively and take care of the ball. If the Roadrunners hope to improve their otherwise disappointing road record, they must improve in the two areas immediately.