Drag, dance and Björk

The Starlighter’s brunch celebrates iconic songstress

This past Sunday, The Starlighter hosted their weekly, out-of-this-world drag brunch, where attendees could enjoy delicious food and unforgettable performances by alternative drag performers. With each new week comes a new theme, and at Sunday’s brunch, the theme was based on none other than famous Icelandic singer-songwriter and composer Björk, who is best known for her unique style in music and attire. The theme was chosen by performer and renowned drag queen Mistress Baby Rae. 

“I love Björk; she’s one of my favorite artists of all time,” Mistress said. “I wanted to do a theme for my birthday that was out of the box for my dragsona, but it was something I knew I could turn out. So I chose Björk, and I’m really happy because I got some really talented Björk lovers on the cast.”

The talented queens who performed displayed excellent skills through their intricate and detailed outfits and outstanding lip-syncing performances.

The lineup for The Starlighter’s brunch began with House of Metamorphasis’ very own Shitonya Face, who was the host of the overall event. The three main performers were Mistress Baby Rae, Ethel Institution and Sharon Stargasm. Throughout the brunch, each queen displayed iconic looks inspired by Björk and lip-synced to some of her renowned songs, such as “All is Full of Love,” “It’s Oh So Quiet” and “Venus as a Boy.” 

Between each set, the guests and attendees got the opportunity to hear some hilarious anecdotes and crowd interaction from the event’s host, Shitonya, or got the chance to order The Starlighter’s pizzas and mimosas to enjoy while they watched the performances unfold, ensuring an afternoon of fun and entertainment. Alongside the performances and breaks in between, there were some heartwarming moments as well, such as singing “Happy Birthday” to the birthday queen, Mistress, which displayed a welcoming and safe space for everyone in attendance. 

After each queen performed twice, they ended the event with a bang as they went all out in an attention-grabbing group dance to the song “Human Behaviour” by Björk. This performance left everyone on the edge of their seats as the queens did shocking choreography and ate fake organs made by the Mistress herself. Sharon Stargasm had a special role in creating the choreography because of her minor in dance.

“A lot of, like, what I have to do is collaborate with other people,” Stargasm said. “I think that carries over to drag. I really appreciated working with [Mistress and Institution] because we immediately knocked out that number in an hour or so.” 

Although it was a fantastic event to attend and looked effortless and fun from the audience’s point of view, so much goes into the art of drag and its production.

“Honestly, it’s like a test of endurance,” Institution stated. “It’s just awesome; it’s definitely all mental.”

“It’s a lot of energy that we put into it,” Stargasm continued. “We do it because we love it, not because we’re getting anything big out of it. It’s just personal for everybody.”

There is a lot that goes into these performances and much more that goes into the art of drag. So, if you want to support local drag and enjoy a Sunday afternoon full of entertainment and fun, visit The Starlighter and keep an eye out for their future Drag Brunch or other events.