Despite team struggles, Christian Tucker is having a season to remember

In a season of ups and downs, UTSA men’s basketball junior Christian Tucker has remained a real bright spot for the Roadrunners this year. 

Playing at an incredibly high level this season, the walk-on guard has elevated those around him through his on-court leadership and elite playmaking ability. As one of only three returning players from last season, Tucker has found himself taking on a new role as the premier voice on the team. 

“It’s definitely been something to adjust to, I didn’t really get that opportunity last year,”  Tucker said of his new leadership role. “You know, I just have to thank my coaches and teammates for believing in me.” 

Though an adjustment, Tucker has adapted well to his new leadership role. Whether it is being vocal on the court in calling plays, rallying the team together or simply distributing the basketball, the Chandler, Ariz. native, has vociferously shown why he is the team’s on-court commander. 

“As long as they trust me on the court, I’ll do whatever it takes to win,” Tucker said. “Again, I really have to just credit my teammates and coaches.”

Doing just that, the 6-foot-3 guard has taken extreme leaps in nearly every category this season. Doubling his points, rebounds and assists from last season, Tucker has truly transformed his game on both sides of the court. Despite averaging 13 points per game, it is the assists that have brought Tucker some of the most joy this year. 

“I love passing the ball,” Tucker said. “Seeing my teammates score off some of my assists just feels really good.”

Tucker’s unselfishness has made him one of the best players in the American Athletic Conference, as his passing and scoring ability has proven to be a problem for any defense.

Halfway through the season, Tucker has found himself scoring double-doubles and reaching new career highs in points and assists. While many teammates and coaches credit Tucker’s work ethic for the breakout year, he remains adamant in crediting his coaches for his incredible opportunity. 

“I just want to thank my coaches and teammates for believing in me,” Tucker said on his remarkable leaps this season. “You know, they took a chance on me, and that’s really all I needed to make that jump. They have all the confidence in me and I have all the confidence in myself.” 

Joining the team as a walk-on in 2021, Christian has remained humble throughout his journey at UTSA, praising his team and coaching staff almost every chance he gets. 

Though his play has been exceptional all year, it is Tucker’s humility and supreme confidence that has made him an incredible role model on and off the court. The junior guard has truly embodied what it means to be a Roadrunner.