Anything but this movie

Anything but this movie
Ruben Solis

“There’s no way we can convince anyone we actually like each other.”

After following the sexually charged press tour, fans were itching to see the newest romantic comedy, “Anyone but You.” Starring the latest heartthrobs, Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney, the film was expected to revive rom-coms.

“Anyone but You” is a modern adaptation of Shakespeare’s famous story “Much Ado About Nothing,” which follows an enemies-to-lovers style relationship. The main characters, Bea and Ben, meet in a coffee shop and immediately strike up a conversation that soon leads to the bedroom. After a night of stolen kisses and shared stories, things quickly fall apart as miscommunication seeps in. The two run into each other six months later, when they learn that important people in their lives are getting married, which means they will be forced to spend time together. The problem is they hate each other. 

Having played the hot and witty romantic lead before, Powell was a natural. His banter felt smooth, making the audience erupt with laughter, though the same cannot be said for his co-star. Ever since her breakout role as Cassie in “Euphoria,” Sweeney has been bouncing around as the newest bombshell blonde. While she has done some great work, her acting in this was inconsistent and uninteresting, seeming extremely scripted. Sweeney was out-classed, out-performed and overall replaceable. The two had more chemistry on the press tour than they did on screen. 

The supporting characters were a mix of comedic and cringe-worthy, oftentimes opting for Gen-Z slang instead of timeless jokes. As of late, movies seem to be targeting a much younger audience, forgoing those who might not relate to the same humor. As a result, it falls short of catering to a much broader audience, leaving a lot of room for unsatisfied reviews.  

To play into the Shakespearean origin, quotes were visually scattered throughout the scenes. Written on the sand or plastered on a nearby billboard, there was always a reference to look for. At times, the callbacks felt forced and unnatural, but they made the Shakespearean aspect of the film obvious for those who did not know of it beforehand. 

Many fans took to the internet and said, “This was the best rom-com since ‘10 Things I Hate About You,’” which is false. Though this movie was not a complete flop and may be worth a rewatch, it will not beat out any other rom-com. If you are looking for more Powell content, “Set It Up” is a much better example of a consistent, well-balanced romantic comedy.

View Comments (1)