A guide to UTSA’s community resources

Mohitha Ravikumar

As a UTSA student, there are tons of resources available. Some resources are available through more widely known offices like UTSA One Stop, but others are a little more unknown. Hidden away on the UTSA website is a “Community Resources” tab that details different programs, services and opportunities geared toward Roadrunners’ safety.

Public Safety Events

Throughout the year, UTSA hosts different events to promote public safety. These events are to educate and mingle as they give ‘Runners time to meet one another while learning about safety. The tab lists all of the events that are happening, along with dates and locations. 

Community Services 

Inside the “Community Services” tab, there are many different links to click on. The links are grouped together like this because they are all services designated for assisting students, but they all provide a different type of service. Some of the services include “Motorist Assistance,” “Campus Safety Escorts” and “Lost and Found.”

Victim Support

UTSA’s Police Department offers specialized support to victims on and off campus to ensure assisted care for all students ranging from safety planning, emergency relocation assistance, protective order assistance and safety inspections. At the bottom of the tab is a list of references and phone numbers for students to utilize if they need more specific assistance. 

Community Alerts

Spearheaded by the Department of Public Safety, there are many different ways that students receive necessary community announcements. The first is “timely warnings,” which is a prevention intent. Timely warnings are sent out when a possible threat is on the horizon, regardless of execution. Following timely warnings are “emergency notifications,” are sent out once an emergency is confirmed. The final two methods of communication are “community notifications” and “important alerts.”

Active Shooter/Threat Responses 

Active threats unfortunately present themselves more than anyone would like, so it is important to know what to do when they happen. Under the “Active Shooter/Threat Responses” tab, there are many helpful guides to keep students safe in the event of an active threat. The guides present are the “Emergency Response Guide” and an “Active Shooter Survival Video.

Crime Map

The “Community Crime Map” is an interactive tool that provides reported crime statistics in San Antonio. By looking up a specific address, you can view crime data attached to that location. The map is a bond-building tool that helps UTSAPD and SAPD communicate the local crime scene. 

Daily Crime Log

Crime is inevitable anywhere you go. The crime log is provided to keep track of all of the campus crimes in one concise space. The log summarizes all of the nearby crimes that have happened within the last 60 days and is organized by date and location. There are no names attached to the crimes.

Compliments & Complaints

For any questions, comments or concerns, you are able to “submit feedback.” When submitting feedback, you are encouraged to leave dates, times and locations. If you are submitting feedback about a faculty member, you do not need to know their name, as the receiver will do their best to identify them. The feedback will be forwarded to the faculty member, and a copy will be placed in their personal file. 

Sex Offender Registration Information

Due to different state and federal laws, UTSA is required to provide information on registered sex offenders living on campus or taking classes. By using the Texas Department of Public Safety Public Sex Offender Registry, you can search by name, address, zip code, country or higher education institution. 

These resource links are here to help guide Roadrunners, and it is encouraged that students utilize them. For more detailed information regarding campus resources, visit UTSA One Stop on campus or the community resources webpage.