Aston Martin launches 2024 car eager for a victory

Lauren Stein

One of only three F1 teams to currently have a world champion for a driver, the Aston Martin Aramco F1 Team saw a promising season in 2023, ending fifth in the Constructor Standings with eight podiums, all belonging to two-time world champion Fernando Alonso. This was an improvement from their 2022 season, in which they ended seventh. Alonso, currently the oldest driver on the grid, ended fourth in the Driver Standings and his teammate, Lance Stroll, son of team owner Lawrence Stroll, ended tenth. 

The team launched the AMR24 on Feb. 12, showcasing a car painted very similar to their 2023 contender. Painted primarily in the typical Aston Martin green color, the car features black exposed carbon fiber on the sidepods, and front and back wings. Aramco continues to be their titular partner, but they are joined by popular brands such as TikTok, BOSS and Valvoline Global. 

The team has revamped their vehicle, featuring new parts and new concepts to create a lighter, more aerodynamic car that will hopefully push them higher on the podium. The AMR24 features a new chassis design, an altered front wing, and a redesigned nose, among other changes. The car will use pushrod suspensions system in both the front and rear, opting not to follow Red Bull’s front pullrod suspension example. 

As the team works towards improving on their place in the Constructors’ Championship and lessening the gap to the fastest car, their drivers have their share of personal ambitions. Stroll is looking to secure his first race win, while Alonso is looking for his 33rd victory, having won his 32nd over a decade ago in 2013 while driving for Ferrari. They face fierce competition, with Ferrari and McLaren promising to put up a fight, but Technical Chief Dan Fallows claims they are operating with the mentality that Red Bull is beatable. If they believe such a dominating team can be beaten, Aston Martin will not be frightened by less successful teams’ efforts. 

Aston Martin appears to have a bright future ahead of them and if they don’t become race winners this season, it is only a matter of time.