Roadrunners split opening series against UT-Arlington

Inconsistency robs UTSA of series win

The 2023 campaign saw the Roadrunners earn their first national ranking in program history. Despite a late-season collapse, there was plenty of optimism for the 2024 season. In the 2024 season’s opening weekend, UTSA captured two wins across four total games against the UT-Arlington Mavericks at Roadrunner Field.

“We’ve got a lot to work on,” head coach Pat Hallmark said. “No real surprises, we are who we thought we were.” 

Opening night saw freshman pitcher Robert Orloski get the start on the mound for the ‘Runners. A solo shot in the first inning from opposing second baseman Ryan Black was an unfortunate sign of things to come for UTSA’s rotation. Finding themselves in a nine-run hole entering the bottom of the fifth inning, UTSA rallied to make it a two-score game by the eighth inning. The comeback fell just short as the ‘Runners dropped game one 10-9. 

A day two doubleheader provided favorable results for UTSA. After allowing 10 runs in the season opener, the Roadrunner rotation was able to rebound.

Senior outfielder Caleb Hill got the Roadrunners started with an RBI double. Shortly after, junior utility player James Taussig knocked an RBI single past the second baseman to bring two runners home. The offense continued to pile on, the rotation would hold steady and UTSA cruised to a 7-2 win. 

In a showdown of arms, game three was capped off in walk-off fashion. Junior infielder Hector Rodriguez put the ‘Runners on the board first with a shot past third base to grab his first RBI of the season. Junior infielder Jordan Medellin was able to tie it up for the Mavericks in the top of the fifth. Three and a half scoreless innings later, sophomore outfielder Aiden Baumann was brought in to take the final at-bat of regulation. Facing a full count, Baumman slapped one down the right field line and the winning runner trotted to the plate with ease. Celebration commenced as UTSA won 2-1. 

“I want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I couldn’t do that without him,” Baumann said. “The ball placement and everything like that, for that to happen just like it did, that wasn’t me.” 

To close out the series UTSA dropped the final game, settling for a split. Both squads were able to plate runners in the second inning. A solo homerun from Mavericks junior catcher Parker Airhart gave UT-Arlington a short-lived lead. The Roadrunner offense responded almost immediately with an RBI double from senior utility player Ty Tilson to tie the match at 1-1. The Mavericks scored twice in the top of the sixth before the ‘Runners responded with two scores of their own courtesy of junior infielder Matt King and senior infielder Alexander Olivo. The Mavericks were able to drive in two more scores late to win 5-4. 

A less-than-ideal opening series sends the Roadrunners right back to work to prepare for their first road test of the season. 

“We are going to face better pitching, that’s the part that concerns me. We just have to improve,” Hallmark said. 

UTSA will next face Tarleton State at 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Tarleton Baseball Complex.