State Of The City: Week of 2/20

Chloe Williams

Not subscribed to local news but still want to stay up-to-date on the happenings around town? Look no further. Highlighting notable stories from external San Antonio news sources, State of the City summarizes the most captivating news headlines of the week. This week’s topics range from historic earthquakes to an adult dancer accused of trafficking over a million dollars worth of cocaine.

Earthquake strikes South Texas

Residents in Falls City, a town just 40 miles from San Antonio, reported feeling the earthquake late at night on Feb. 17, around 12:30 a.m. The quake was reported to have a magnitude of 4.7, and even residents in San Antonio reported feeling it. A moderate earthquake like this one was strong enough to cause minor property damage to homes. Recently, there have been a series of minor earthquakes in the area in February alone, measuring between 3.2 and 3.5 in magnitude. Geologists speculate that nearby drilling sites are responsible for the influx. 

Father and daughter shot near Stone Oak

On the northeast side, 43-year-old Joseph Hines was reported to have shot himself on  Feb. 13. His 23-year-old daughter is currently in critical condition after also allegedly shooting herself. This is currently an ongoing investigation as local authorities work with a family member to piece together the story.

Metro Health and SAPD earn certification

The City of San Antonio Metropolitan Health District and Police Department have announced they are both better prepared for dealing with individuals with trauma. Both earned a Level 1 Foundational Trauma Informed Care Organizational Certification. SAPD is the first law enforcement agency in the nation to receive this informed care certification. SAPD and Metro Health recognized together the importance of creating a safe environment and hope to better serve the community. The City aims for all of its departments to be certified by 2026.

Adult dancer accused of dealing $1.3 million in cocaine

A 24-year-old San Antonio adult dancer, Gisselle Cabrera Rodriguez, has been arrested on charges of distributing 105 kilograms of cocaine, valued at $1.3 million. The FBI raided her apartment near The Shops at La Cantera, finding over two kilograms of cocaine and $45,000 in cash. Rodriguez, allegedly involved with cartel operatives, claimed to have been receiving five to 10 kilos of cocaine monthly from a Mexican source for the past several months, selling each kilo for $13,000. 

She listed her income sources as an adult dancer and owner/operator of a trucking company. Despite pretrial services recommending her release on bond, the prosecution argued Rodriguez poses a flight risk due to family ties in Mexico, leading the judge to order her held without bond pending further review.