Nothing sweet in Sugar Land for the Roadrunners

UTSA wins one of three games in Sugar Land Classic

Coming off a road loss to Tarleton State, the UTSA baseball squad was looking to secure some quality wins in the Sugar Land Classic. The Roadrunners were only able to manage a singular win against Stephen F. Austin while surrendering losses to Creighton and Lamar this past weekend at Constellation Field. 

“I thought we played well,” head coach Pat Hallmark said. “We’ve just got to grow up. Maturity, toughness and mental toughness, that’s all a part of the process.” 

In the opening romp, the ‘Runners (3-5) found themselves going back-and-forth with the opposing Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (3-5). 

Allowing back-to-back home runs in the top of the second inning, UTSA responded in the bottom of the second with RBI singles from junior utility James Taussig and junior outfielder Mason Lytle to tie the game 2-2. 

“The opposing pitchers were throwing well, I was just staying locked in and taking what they gave me,” Lytle said. 

The Roadrunners took their first lead in the bottom of the third with an RBI triple from junior catcher Lorenzo Moressi before the Lumberjacks responded with a solo home run in the top of the fourth. In UTSA’s next at-bat, junior infielder Matt King and senior outfielder Caleb Hill were able to plate two runs for the ‘Runners. The lead was short-lived as SFA scored twice to tie things up once again at six. Junior utility Broc Parmer put an end to the theatrics with a solo home run over the center field wall to secure the 7-6 UTSA win. 

“I knew if a righty came in I might get a chance, so I was just staying mentally prepared,” Parmer said. “Coming off the bench and always having that support, you really have a bunch of confidence coming up to the plate to do something like that.” 

Day two saw UTSA facing off against an undefeated Creighton (5-0) squad. The Bluejays took a three-run lead in the bottom of the third and maintained that lead throughout the rest of the contest. An RBI single from Hill was the ‘Runners lone run as they fell 4-1. 

Trying to exit the tournament with a winning record, UTSA ran into trouble early against the Lamar Cardinals (4-2). On the mound for the first inning was sophomore pitcher Braden Davism whose day was cut short just 22 pitches in after giving up four runs. The Roadrunners spent the rest of the game chasing that lead but to no avail. The ‘Runners scored twice in the fourth inning but would go scoreless the rest of the way, sealing UTSA’s 5-3 loss. 

“Sometimes you can play aggressive and tough and not win,” Hallmark said. 

This time last season, UTSA held a 6-2 record through eight games, a stark contrast from this season’s 3-5 record. However, it is important to note that the Roadrunners did not retain many key members from that team. This is a young and inexperienced squad, growing pains are to be expected.

UTSA will next face the University of Houston at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park.