Enter ‘The Age of Armor’

SAMA showcases armor and artifacts from across the globe

On Feb. 16, the San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA) unveiled its new exhibit in the Crowden Gallery, “The Age of Armor: Treasures from the Higgins Armory Collection at the Worcester Art Museum.” 

The exhibit features armor from the Worcester Art Museum’s Higgins Armory Collection in Worcester, Massachusetts. The collection was formed in 2014 and the full collection features 1,500 artifacts, including 24 full suits of armor, individual armor pieces, weaponry and art. They originate from all across the globe, spanning across Africa, Europe and Asia. However, SAMA does not hold the entire collection, and the exhibit only features a limited number of stand-out pieces. 

“The Age of Armor” explores armor in its golden age, especially by heavily showcasing European styles — the only style of ancient armor with fully articulated, moveable steel. The collection showcases armor and weaponry from various periods in time in various aspects. This includes ornate designs, ceremonial garb and battle-ready equipment.

The exhibit also features interactive aspects throughout the gallery. In the main room of SAMA, a stand can be found with displayed gloves and helmets that are stationary but wearable. This allows guests to experience how a knight would see through their helmet. Further in, you can find a touchable link to chain mail, meant to demonstrate how it works to protect its wearer, and various other educational displays. 

The exhibit will be at SAMA until May 12, open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. Bexar County residents get free admission from 4 to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Mondays.