With Harris’ departure, Traylor searches for new quarterback

Marylin Terazas

In coach Jeff Traylor’s tenure at UTSA, there have been many question marks on the roster and voids that needed to be filled. However, there was always a lock at the most important position in the sport, and that was having Frank Harris at quarterback. Though, with Harris’ recent retirement, Traylor encounters a new offseason question: Who will be the next quarterback? 

The UTSA Roadrunners are primed for their second season in the American Athletic Conference and their 14th season overall. With Traylor entering his fifth year at the helm, excitement is building around the team as he prepares for a challenging yet promising 2024 campaign while he looks to start where he left off. UTSA fell short of making the conference championship game last year, however, Traylor hopes to improve that with new offseason additions. 

Despite losing some key players from their 2023 season, the Roadrunners boast a strong returning core, including talented young players who gained valuable experience last year. Traylor is known for his innovative offensive schemes and ability to develop talent, which could be crucial in navigating the competitive landscape of the AAC.

UTSA football looks to come in strong this offseason and find which quarterback will lead their team for the new season. Upcoming sophomore Owen McCown and upcoming junior Eddie Lee Marburger look to compete this spring. Both quarterbacks saw some playing time during the fall, but the question remains on who will be the starter. 

“Owen and Eddie will rotate with the ones all spring. Do we play them both in the first game? They are both really good football players,” Traylor said. “Get their team in the end zone, it’s not complicated. If you do that, you will win.”

The season kicks off on Aug. 31 with a home opener against Kennesaw State, marking the first meeting between the two programs. The Roadrunners will follow up by bussing up I-35 to play at Texas State’s home turf. A highly anticipated matchup against in-state rival, the University of Texas, is scheduled for Sept. 14 before playing against Houston Christian University on Sept. 21. UTSA will look to defend its home turf against conference foes like Memphis, North Texas and Temple, while also facing tough road tests against ECU, Rice and Tulsa.

“Just because Kennesaw State isn’t as well known doesn’t mean they are not good. Nobody knew who UTSA was a couple years ago, so we open up with them, with a new team,” Traylor said. “Week one can be a trap game because everyone is all focused on our in-state rival Texas State week two.

“Week three holds another story of going and playing the horns. A lot of stuff in the schedule that is a little scary before we get to conference play.”

With a mix of returning veterans and promising newcomers from the transfer portal, the 2024 team has the potential to make another run for a bowl appearance and solidify its position as a rising force in college football. Whether they can maintain their success in the more competitive AAC remains to be seen, but one thing for certain is that Roadrunner fans can expect an exciting season filled with high-stakes matchups and passionate play.

“We think we are one of those teams competing in those 12 playoff spots and know we can get there,” Traylor said.

The team started their first spring offseason practice on Monday. The Roadrunners will continue to practice and find out many unanswered questions for the season opener. Traylor expects to keep winning and keep this run for UTSA. 

“When we look back at this, we will have a bunch of championships and UTSA will be rocking, we just have to get to winning,” Traylor said.