‘What the f–ck is up IHOP?’

IHOP Grandslam takes a turn for the worse

Local, DIY shows can go awry fast — from violating noise ordinances, technical issues and police intervention, anything can happen. Unsurprisingly, this is what happened at the “IHOP Grandslam,” an homage to the viral Denny’s Grandslam video, held this past Friday. 

Announced by @kingofsatx on Instagram, a local punk show was held at the IHOP located at 6831 North Loop 1604. 

With an impressive bill featuring the bands Get up and go!, DogMad, Scum and GULT, the show was sure to attract some attention. When the doors opened at 8 p.m., concertgoers began to enter the IHOP, pay their $10 entry fee, order pancakes and get ready for the concert ahead of them.

Starting the night was Get up and go!, who quickly raised the energy in the room. Within minutes, a large mosh pit formed and enamored fans and pancake lovers alike were moshing and dancing about. However, amidst the dancing, a table was accidentally broken in the middle of their set. This prompted anger from the IHOP staff and the lead of the band exclaimed, “Respect the IHOP, it’s a privilege that we’re playing here.” 

Once Get up and go! finished their set, the attendees who were not seated were sent outside while the next band set up and the employees attempted to fix the smashed table.

Coming out second, DogMad somehow hyped the crowd up even more than the opener. With more fans entering the restaurant, it became increasingly cramped, but nobody seemed to care. DogMad played their hearts out with an impressive set and an even more impressive mosh pit, especially for such a unique venue. But after DogMad’s set, things took a turn for the worse. 

With over 200 people in attendance, the show quickly became unruly and unmanageable for the event hosts. Broken tables, trash and rowdy guests were everywhere. As the employees tried to clear out the restaurant, attendees became more aggressive. Everything came to a head with a fight breaking out, leading to one of the servers attempting to call off the show, but it backfired. The growing mob outside began yelling “F–ck IHOP” in anger.

Unexpectedly, Scum was allowed to play their set to the few fans who were still seated and eating inside. Scum performed a good, private set for those seated within whilst disgruntled attendees remained outside. 

The closing band on the bill was supposed to be GULT, but in the chaos they decided to leave.

Unmanageable guests drove the show into chaos. What could have been a unique experience quickly turned into somewhat of a nightmare. Many attendees refused to treat the servers, manager and event host with respect and decency. If another punk show is hosted at IHOP, hopefully, the experience will improve.