The history of Women’s History Month

Kara Lee

Women’s History Month celebrates and recognizes the incredible achievements made by women in the past, present and future. Women are often overlooked, undermined and unappreciated. The goal is to honor and empower women and to create a future where gender equality is the norm. 

According to History.com, “The actual celebration of Women’s History Month grew out of a weeklong celebration of women’s contributions to culture, history and society organized by the school district of Sonoma, California, in 1978.” 

The celebration of Women’s History Week was planned and executed by The Education Task Force of the Sonoma County California Commission on the Status of Women, which is the County of Sonoma Board of Supervisors. They “work to ensure that the issues impacting women and girls are given the necessary visibility to affect positive changes in public policy.”

This idea of Women’s History Week was influential and inspiring to many, and the movement spread across the country, being implemented in other communities to celebrate women. 

According to the National Women’s History Museum, “In 1980, a consortium of women’s groups and historians — led by the National Women’s History Project, now the National Women’s History Alliance — successfully lobbied for national recognition. In February 1980, President Jimmy Carter issued the first Presidential Proclamation declaring the Week of March 8th 1980 as National Women’s History Week.”

As the years went on, “subsequent Presidents continued to proclaim a National Women’s History Week in March until 1987 when Congress passed Public Law 100-9, designating March as Women’s History Month.” 

Every year there is a theme that coincides with Women’s History Month. The National Women’s History Month’s theme for 2024 celebrates “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.” The theme recognizes women nationwide who understand that, for a positive future, we need to eliminate bias and discrimination from our lives and institutions.

Women’s History Month takes place from Friday, March 1 through Sunday, March 31. To attend upcoming events and learn more about Women’s History Month, visit UTSA’s COEHD page.