Meet UTSA’s women’s club volleyball team

Camila Martinez Rivera

The UTSA women’s volleyball club team was established before the 2000s as an opportunity for women who did not compete for the school’s official team to continue the sport, without the demands of being an official student-athlete. Like most club teams, the UTSA Recreational Center provides a minimum amount of funding per semester. Along with no sponsors, the players supply and fundraise to pay off the remainder of the costs to uphold the club.

The team is led by volunteer ‘A’ team coach, Steeden Jefferson and co-coach Christian Martin. ‘B’ team is led by coach Joshua Akinwunmi and assistant coach Peter Akinwunmi. The president of the club is Ishma Delgado, along with vice president Callie Cervantes.

The players are required to pay a $300 fee each semester and hold fundraisers to cover the costs of the club regarding transportation and travel. Due to the high fee cover for each player, the club has set up an installment plan, for those who need more time to pay the fees to uphold equal opportunities. 

“We have T-shirt Fundraisers every semester,” Jefferson said. “It is a part of the girls to try to sell the t-shirts.”

Around the first or second week of school each semester, tryouts and two open gyms are held. For each team, there are a total of 12 chosen and then are assigned playing positions that the coaches decide. The team competes in the Southern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association league, where DI schools in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma compete against one another. In April, the nationals where they compete against national teams.

Despite the challenges, the girls continue to play. They meet every Monday and Wednesday to practice at the rec center, where they practice drills, game plays, conditioning and preparation for the tournaments ahead. They are building a closer bond with equal love and passion for volleyball.

Supporters can check their Instagram to keep up with the action and see when they play next.