Late-game heroics falter in San Marcos

Bobcats capitalize early off shaky Roadrunner bullpen

UTSA’s late-game rally was cut short against I-35 rival Texas State, losing 14-13 on Tuesday at Bobcat Ballpark. 

The Bobcats (12-9) got off to a hot start, scoring nine runs in the opening inning before adding another five runs in the bottom of the third. The Roadrunners (10-11) managed two runs in each the eighth and ninth, though were held short, officially falling .500 on the season while allowing a season-high 14 runs. 

To UTSA coach Pat Hallmark, pitching was the epitome of the ‘Runners’ loss. Both teams failed to gain any traction on the mound, with a combined eight pitching changes in the first six innings. 

“We pitched lousy,” he said. “I maybe could’ve made better decisions on who to pitch.”  

The ‘Runners late-game push was started by an RBI double from senior outfielder Caleb Hill, allowing freshman Ty Odom to score. Hill came home shortly thereafter when senior infielder Alexander Olivo singled toward center field. In the final inning, freshman utility infielder Diego Diaz homered to right center field, bringing fellow utility infielder sophomore Broc Parmer home. Down 14-13 and with two men on base, Odom popped a fly ball toward Texas State’s third baseman, sealing UTSA’s loss. 

“We hung around, I like our fight,” Hallmark said. “I wish we executed a little more consistently.” 

UTSA’s first four-inning runs were quickly one-upped by Texas State’s nine in its first at-bat. Junior Ryan Bearid was pulled after allowing three runs in just 16 pitches and was replaced by sophomore Braylon Owens, who allowed six more runs, including a grand slam, resulting in the early deficit. 

“[Texas State] hammers the fastball,” Hallmark said. “Not enough strikes and not enough strikes on the off-speed pitches.”  

In the second, momentum began to shift back to the ‘Runners when Odom hit a home run toward left field. Two batters later, Hill drove into center field, capturing his first home run of the night. Junior infielder Matt King hit deep into left field, assisting junior outfielder Mason Lytle to give UTSA a manageable 9-8 deficit. 

After holding the Bobcats scoreless in the second, Texas State began their second scoring run of the night, capturing their second grand slam of the game. Pitching tightened up and held the Bobcats scoreless for the rest of the night. Hill scored his third run of the game, bringing the ‘Runners’ deficit to five.

Hill continued his success on the field, finishing the night with four runs adding to his American Athletic Conference-leading total of 30. King had an impressive game hitting a single, scoring twice and leading the team with three RBIs. Despite the early struggles on the mound, the last three pitchers allowed a combined two hits and four strikeouts. 

“They are a very good team,” Hallmark said. “We have our work cut out for us, but that is why we play the game.” 

UTSA is set to begin AAC play against No. 10 East Carolina Pirates at 6 p.m. Friday at Roadrunner Field.