Golfers gear up for the Valero Texas Open

Alex Dewees

The Valero Texas Open, a professional golf tournament a part of the PGA TOUR, is right around the corner, with the tournament taking place from this Thursday to Sunday. The course stretches a distance of 7,435 yards out, making this weekend an interesting match as the field will feature some big-time players hitting the course. With bets and predictions sparking the internet, here are some predictions for the 2024 VTO. 

But first, introducing the course and its importance is key to how it all came about.  

The VTO is the third-oldest PGA TOUR event, the sixth-oldest professional golf tournament globally and the longest to be hosted in the same city. The competition commemorated its 100th anniversary in 2022. Among the greatest names in golf history, the list includes some of the greatest names in the sport: Corey Conners, the winner in 2019 and 2023, Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino, Nick Price, Justin Leonard, Zach Johnson, Adam Scott, Jimmy Walker, Jordan Spieth and so on. Among PGA TOUR competitions, this tournament has raised the most money for charity since Valero took over as title sponsor in 2002. In conjunction with its Champions for Charity and Benefit for Children programs, the VTO has given more than $232 million to several charities.

Following are the names and their current ranking for this season from Kens 5. Rory McIlroy (second), Max Homa (seventh), Matt Fitzpatrick (ninth), Brian Harman (10th), Ludvig Aberg (11th), Tommy Fleetwood (12th) and lastly Collin Morikawa (14th). There are more committing to the VTO each day, such as Spieth and Matt Kuchar. You can keep up to date on the countdown and even the players committing on the VTO’s Instagram @valerotxopen. All of these players play for the PGA and have had quite a great standing. 

When thinking of some predictions of what will play out during the VTO, a lot can depict how the players will play, including driving length. However, this challenge has very little to do with the likelihood of succeeding in this course. Pros that have demonstrated they can succeed include Spieth, Ryan Moore, Brandt Snedeker and Kevin Streelman based on their current tournament, Valspar championship

One distinctive feature is the wind. It is noteworthy to observe that the course layout was created with the wind in mind, with uphill holes playing naturally downwind and downhill holes playing against the wind. This has essentially eliminated the bombers’ major advantage. 

Furthermore, in the VTO San Antonio era of the competition, McIlroy is slated to make his third start. His best result came in 2013 when he finished runner-up. The 24-time PGA TOUR winner has won six times overall since his last start at the VTO in 2022, including the 2022 TOUR Championship and his third FedExCup Championship. His most recent victory came this past Sunday at the DP World Tour’s Hero Dubai Desert Classic. 

Homa will be starting in San Antonio for the first time since 2019. Since then, he has won six times, moving up to the seventh spot in the world rankings for players. This week at Torrey Pine, Homa is defending his most recent PGA TOUR Championship. With that being said, expect nothing but a great championship this year.

The four-day event is going to be an interesting match with great players coming to San Antonio. The stats are coming in and the bets and odds are already being placed in this year’s open. Viewers should expect nothing but an amazing turnout and to see what the players have to bring to this year’s Open.