Softball gets swept on the deck of the Pirates

UTSA softball visited the Eastern Carolina University Pirates for a three-game American Athletic Conference showdown this past weekend. The Roadrunners went 0-3 and dropped their overall win percentage to .293. 

UTSA (12-29, 3-12) managed just one hit in the series opener, coming off the bat of sophomore center fielder Madi Hays. Freshman outfielder Taryn Madlock tacked on the game’s only run by grounding out to second base, which scored junior pinch runner Lindsey Davis. Senior pitcher Jamie Gilbert threw a complete game, allowing 10 hits and four earned runs. The Roadrunners fell to the Pirates 6-1. 

In the second game of the series, UTSA mashed six hits, with two of them belonging to Hays. Senior catcher Taylor Jensen and first baseman Sophie Campbell each collected an RBI in the third inning to tie the game 2-2. However, the Pirates scored eight unanswered runs before run-ruling the ‘Runners in the sixth with a final score of 10-2. 

Aside from the struggle of not scoring runs and leaving five runners on base, the Roadrunners’ problem was the pitching. Coach Vann Stuedeman had to use five different pitchers throughout the game. The pitching rotation gave up a combined 10 earned runs, 10 hits, administered eight walks and only struck out four. 

The series finale showed some spark in the offense through the bat of senior designated player Erykah Guerrero, who went 3-for-3 at the plate. She also collected three RBIs to put UTSA up early in the game, with a single in the first to drive in one and a two-run homer in the third. Despite Guerrero’s fantastic performance, the ‘Runners were not able to score again and East Carolina went on to win the game 4-3 by a walk-off single. 

A positive to come out of this series would be the overall defense that was played. UTSA only recorded two errors over the weekend, helping the pitching staff as much as they could to compete for the win. 

The Roadrunners will face off next against the Baylor Bears at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Roadrunner Field.