Softball falters late, suffers defeat to No.24 Baylor

Roadrunners hit .148 in ranked matchup

Despite holding a one-run lead through the first four innings, UTSA softball narrowly fell to No.24 Baylor 2-1 on Tuesday evening at Roadrunner Field. 

The Roadrunners (12-30, 3-12 American Athletic Conference) faced their first ranked opponent in six years in the loss. Though the visiting Bears (22-14, 5-10 Big 12) are the toughest team coach Vann Stuedeman has faced so far in her first year with UTSA, her team’s performance was consistent with what she had seen all season long.

“It was similar to a lot of our games,” Stuedeman said. “We’re winning and we either stop scoring or make a critical error that leads to [Baylor] scoring.” 

Through the first two innings of the game, neither offense was able to score. UTSA ended the scoring drought off a fielding error from the Bears, allowing sophomore outfielder Madi Hays to reach home. 

Baylor scored a runner in the top of the fifth off an RBI single from junior outfielder Ashlyn Wachtendorf. 

Entering the seventh with the score knotted up at 1-1, Wachtendorf sliced her second RBI single of the day into left field to give the Bears a late lead.

UTSA had a chance to steal the win in the bottom of the seventh with sophomore outfielder Madison Lenton on base and junior infielder Camryn Robillard up to bat. Robillard was unable to drive in the tying run, grounding out to third base. 

“We had some opportunities to get some timely hits, we just didn’t get them,” Stuedeman said. “Real proud of the girls though, at this point of the year they could quit and stop working but they’re not.” 

Now 18 games under .500, the Roadrunners continue to try and build team chemistry as they look ahead to the AAC tournament. 

UTSA will next face Charlotte for a three-game home conference series. Game one is set for 6 p.m. Friday at Roadrunner Field.