San Antonio FC earns hard-fought draw against Orange County

Persistent SAFC earns valuable points vs top team in west
Courtesy of SAFC/Celina Leyva
Juan Agudelo (player) – striker (position)

San Antonio FC proved they were still serious contenders in the Western Conference after getting a 0-0 draw on Saturday night against Orange County SC at Toyota Field. The tight matchup further ignited this rivalry that has been heated over the past few seasons.

“I feel we controlled the tempo of the game and created numerous chances,” was SAFC head coach Alen Marcina’s response when asked his thoughts on the match. “We got into key spaces that we trained for and our pressing actions were very good.” San Antonio’s record goes to 2-1-3 while Orange County moves to 3-3 on the season. 

Despite SAFC outshooting the Californian side by six shots to three, the two teams went into halftime scoreless. The second period started much like the first, with SAFC dictating much of the possession. The hosts created numerous chances in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half, including a near miss by striker Juan Agudelo. 

The final minutes were frantic and exciting with both teams wanting to take all three points. Despite this, neither was able to find the back of the net, showcasing a fiery matchup, but one in which both teams could not be separated. 

With this result, San Antonio FC remains in fifth place in the west on nine points. Orange County on the other hand remains at the top of the Western Conference, three points above San Antonio. This match ensured that both teams would be viable contenders to make a deep run in the USL Playoffs.

With San Antonio facing multiple playoff contenders in the opening few weeks, the squad will be feeling confident going into the next few games. 

There were some interesting statistics to take away from the game, with SAFC having 58% possession and outshooting OCSC 14-8. Both teams were level with two shots on target. The home side also had 425 passes compared to the 314 their opponents totaled. 

Defender Kendall Burks was a standout performer as well, helping SAFC become the first team to shut out Orange County this season. “We’re glad to get a clean sheet any time we can,” Burks said when asked about the impact of the result. “No matter who we play, we expect to get three points, so we always set high expectations for ourselves.” 

Captain Mitch Taintor also provided solidity to the backline, leading by example and getting forward when he was required. On the other side, seventeen-year-old goalkeeper Duran Ferree impressed with clutch saves to help scrape a draw for the visitors. 

San Antonio FC will travel to the East Coast to face Hartford Athletic at 4 p.m. Saturday at Trinity Health Stadium.

View Comments (1)