New basketball coach shines in introductory press conference

Marylin Terazas

Making his final departure as an assistant from the University of Alabama, new men’s basketball coach Austin Claunch held his introductory press conference in the Park West Fieldhouse last Thursday. Accompanied and introduced by athletics director Lisa Campos, Claunch was praised heavily throughout his introduction as both a champion and a leader of men.

“We wanted a champion, someone who has been at a high level,” Campos said of the hiring of Claunch. “His vision aligns perfectly with mine. He cares about the student-athletes.”

A former back-to-back Southland Conference champion as the head coach of Nicholls State University, Claunch has had a multitude of experiences at the highest levels. In his most recent stint as an assistant for Alabama, Claunch helped lead the Crimson Tide to an incredible Final Four run. 

Claunch wasted no time in expressing his love and goals for the Roadrunner team. He spoke highly of his plans for the future. 

“One thing you’re going to hear a lot from me is having a program of integrity and gratitude,” the coach proclaimed. “I’m looking forward to getting that magic back, it’s going to happen sooner than later.”

The coach continued to discuss the new program and culture he plans to bring to UTSA. Emphasizing the players, Claunch remained adamant in his demands for the Roadrunners’ upcoming season. 

“I want guys to compete, guys that want to be here at UTSA,” Claunch said. “To play at UTSA is a privilege, and winning is as much of a privilege as it is being here.”

With only four players returning, Claunch and his new staff will have no choice but to test the recruiting market. When asked about his approach to recruiting with a limited financial budget, the coach kept his response brief in regards to using NIL to attract players. 

“At the end of the day, if it’s the first thing you talk about with a recruit, that’s not somebody that we’re really looking to bring here anyway,” Claunch said of NIL recruitment. “Again we want guys that want to be at UTSA for basketball and for what it can do for their future.” 

Near the end of his press conference, Claunch offered some of his long-term expectations for Roadrunner men’s basketball. Though the goals seemed unrealistic to some, Claunch remained confident in his team’s ability to achieve and exceed his high demands. 

“I want to go undefeated at home, the Convo should be the best home-court advantage in the country,” he said. “It’s a process, but we’re always going to be working towards those goals.” 

Taking the helm as the Roadrunners’ new basketball coach for the next five years, Claunch will look to instill a brand new winning culture here at UTSA.