Go for a drink without breaking the bank

Armin Suljovic

Happy hour is a college student’s paradise. This list may be of help to anyone of age looking for a good time on a budget. The bars listed will be near UTSA’s main campus, focusing on drinks and food items. 

• The General Public

Located in The Rim shopping center, just a few miles from Main Campus, The General Public hosts their happy hour daily from 3 to 6 p.m. Their signage out front reads “featuring eight house specialty cocktails, eight wines by the glass, 10 draft beers, and select bites.” Deals range for certain promotions on their website and regular happy hour drinks increase at the hour on the clock: 3 p.m. has $3 drinks, 4 p.m. has $4 drinks and so forth until 6 p.m. 

• Bar Louie

Towards the restaurant area of La Cantera shopping center and across the highway from UTSA is Bar Louie. Their happy hour times are from Monday to Friday starting at 4 p.m. and ending at 7. Deals include $4 domestic draft beers, $5 craft drafts and between $6 to $7.50 for liquors and wines. They also offer select food items for 50% off the menu price. 

• North Italia

The ambient North Italia is also based in The Rim shopping center. Their best happy hour deal is on select beers, available for a flat $5. You can grab a drink from this Italian spot Monday through Friday from 3 to 6 p.m.

• The Rustic

Staying in the same shopping center at The Rim, you can grab a happy hour deal every day at The Rustic from 3 to 6 p.m. Featured on their happy hour menu for 50% off are three Rustic Waters and three food options.  The Rustic’s outside seating arrangement makes for a cozy spot to enjoy your beverage.

• Yard House

Right across from Bar Louie at La Cantera is Yard House. Their happy hour deals range from drinks to appetizers, and all of their pizzas are half off. Monday to Friday from 3 to 6 p.m. Yard House offers $2 off draft beer, wine, spirits and cocktails, $3 off 9 oz wines and $4 off their “Half Yards,” which are 32 oz beers signature to the restaurant. Yard House has a second late-night happy hour with the same deals on Sunday to Thursday from 9 to 11 p.m. 

Besides these bars, there are many others not listed that could make for great bar-hopping during happy hour. Tabs can run up high, but enjoying a drink or two on a deal makes it easier on a college student’s budget.