Arrest made in Aspen Heights shooting

Aspen Heights

Leandre “Dre” Vonzell Hill, 22, was arrested by the San Antonio Police Department (SAPD) on April 7 for the March 24 murder of Randall Perkins at the apartment complex previously known as Aspen Heights.

Hill, who was on probation for a previous robbery charge, turned himself in hours after police issued three warrants for his arrest on the afternoon of April 7 that connected him to the fatal shooting. The arrest warrants were for the murder of Randall Perkins, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a home burglary that was not associated with the events of March 24.

The victim of the aggravated assault mentioned in the arrest warrant is UTSA student Paul Benevides, who suffered a gunshot wound to his arm.

Perkins was reported to have been standing in front of Benevides at the time of the shooting, and the single shot traveled through Perkins’ torso and struck Benevides. Both victims were taken to University Hospital, where hospital officials pronounced Perkins dead at 3:26 a.m.

Following the killing, SAPD recovered a cell phone that contained video from the shooting scene. According to police, the quality of the footage is too poor to discern any visual details, but the sound is clear. The words “stop tripping, Dre” are clearly heard directly prior to the sound of a single gunshot. This is presumed to be the gunshot that killed Perkins and wounded Benevides.

An autopsy of Perkins performed by the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the cause of death to be a gunshot wound to his back.

According to SAPD, several witnesses from the night of the shooting were able to positively identify Hill as the shooter.

The cell phone video, autopsy results and positive identifications by witnesses were enough to give police probable cause to believe Hill “intentionally and knowingly shot and killed” Perkins according to the police report.

According to Matt Porter, spokesman for SAPD, Hill’s bail has been set at a $150,000 bond. The 379th District Court of Bexar County will process the case. An indictment has not yet been made.

The fatal shooting took place at the apartment complex formerly known as Aspen Heights, where many UTSA students reside. Shortly after the killing, Aspen Heights issued a statement that offered their condolences and informed residents of additional security measures that were to be taken.

Since the events of March 24, the complex has been placed under new management and is now called The Estates. The manager declined to comment on any questions regarding the murder, change in management or change in name.