Summer 2013 Blockbusters

MAY 2013

Friday, May 3
Iron Man 3
The Iceman

Friday, May 10
The Great Gatsby
Tyler Perry Presents Peeples
Aftershock

Friday, May 17
Star Trek Into Darkness
Erased (Limited)

Friday, May 24
Fast and Furious 6
The Hangover: Part III
EPIC
Only God Forgives (Limited)

Friday, May 31
After Earth
Now You See Me
Shadow Dancer (Limited)
The Kings of Summer (Limited)

JUNE 2013

Friday, June 7
The Purge
The Internship

Wednesday, June 12
This is the End

Friday, June 14
Man of Steel
The Bling Ring (Limited)

Friday, June 21
World War Z
Monsters University

Friday, June 28
White House Down
The Heat

JULY 2013

Wednesday, July 3
Despicable Me 2
Lone Ranger

Friday, July 5
The Way, Way Back

Friday, July 12
Grown Ups 2
Pacific Rim
The Hunt (Limited)

Wednesday, July 17
Turbo

Friday, July 19
R.I.P.D
Red 2
The Conjuring
Girl Most Likely

Friday, July 26
The Wolverine

Wednesday, July 31
The Smurfs 2

AUGUST 2013

Friday, Aug. 2
300: Rise of An Empire
2 Guns

Wednesday, Aug. 7
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Friday, Aug. 9
Elysium
Disney’s Planes
We’re the Millers

Friday, Aug. 16
Kick-Ass 2
The To-Do List
Paranoia

Friday, Aug. 23
The World’s End
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
You’re Next

Friday, Aug. 30
One Direction: This is Us
Getaway
Random

—————————————————————————————————————————-

May

Iron Man 3
The movie “Iron Man 3,” directed by Shane Black, is the third in a series of movies following Marvel’s character Tony Stark played by Robert Downey Jr. and his superhero persona Iron Man. This movie shows Tony’s journey to find the enemy who is destroying his personal life. Tony must use his instincts and ingenuity to fight against those trying to destroy him and protect those he cares about. Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce with Jon Favreau and Ben Kingsley.

The Great Gatsby
“The Great Gatsby” is yet another reboot of the great American novel of the same title. Written by F. Scott Fitzgerald and published in 1925, the story takes place in the roaring 20s shortly after World War I and is set in New York City. We are taken along the journey of Nick Carraway and his experience when he moves next door to the rich and extravagant Jay Gatsby. Academy Award nominee Leonardo DiCaprio (“Blood Diamond,” “Aviator”) plays Jay Gatsby, with Tobey Maguire starring as Nick Carraway; Joel Edgerton and Oscar-nominee Carey Mulligan (“An Education”) as Tom and Daisy Buchanan.

Star Trek Into Darkness
“Star Trek Into Darkness” is the sequel to the first Star Trek movie in which James T. Kirk finds within himself a hero of galactic proportions and embarks on an adventure to save the world with his trusted friends and crew. In this movie, we continue on the adventure as Captain Kirk is needed once again to save the world and stop a criminal found within his own organization. Kirk must travel to a war-torn world and obtain a weapon of mass destruction before his enemies retrieve it. Action and violence are inevitable, but the thing that sets this movie apart from others is the great visual cinematography and otherworldly settings. Chris Pine plays James T. Kirk with Zachary Quinto starring as Spock and Zoe Saldana reappears as Nyota Uhura.

The Hangover: Part III
The wolfpack is in yet another unbelievable situation when Alan’s father dies and Phil, Stu and Doug accompany him to pay his respects when a crime lord ambushes them and questions them on the whereabouts of Mr. Chow (played by Ken Jeong). That will, no doubt, result in many twists and turns that will take the audience along with them on their hilarious journey. The over $1 billion franchise stars Oscar-nominee Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis for the final entry in the franchise.

Only God Forgives
Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, this indie film stars Ryan Gosling as Julian. Julian is a drug smuggler who is a major part of Bangkok’s criminal world. Julian’s mother comes into his life and asks him to avenge the recent death of his brother. Refn directed the film Drive also starring Ryan Gosling. The setting and intense plot of revenge and violence is sure to make this a movie to remember.

After Earth
A crash-landing on Earth 1000 years after humans are evacuated causes Kitai Rage and Cyper Rage (played by Jaden Smith and his father Will Smith) to survive in harsh environments and learn to work together to find their way back home. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, creator of “The Happening” and “The Sixth Sense,” this anticipated movie is not just going to be visually stimulating but a definite Sci-Fi action thriller.

June
Man of Steel
Directed by Zack Snyder, the new superman reboot follows the origin story of the DC Comic superhero. The film stars Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent and four-time Oscar-nominee Amy Adams as Lois Lane. The story follows Clark’s journey into discovering his gifts, heritage, and purpose in life. The film will include evil super villain Zod, played by Michael Shannon, often seen in the original comic book storyline. The movie is rumored to be a preset for an upcoming “Justice League” movie if it does well in the box office.

The Bling Ring
“The Bling Ring” is a crime-drama based upon true events. Directed, written, and produced by Sofia Coppola, the film follows a group of teenagers as they use the internet and social media to track the whereabouts of celebrities in order to go to their homes and rob them. Paris Hilton, who was said to be a victim of the actual crimes that took place back in 2009, is rumored to be making a cameo appearance in the film. Stars of the film also include Emma Watson and Leslie Mann.

World War Z
This intense sci-fi action thriller is a new take on the “zombie movie” genre. This apocalyptic horror is directed by Marc Forster and is based upon the book of the same name. Brad Pitt stars as Gerry Lane, a UN employee determined to figure out how to stop the global epidemic resulting from the zombie invasion that is threatening the survival of the human race.

Monsters University
Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures come together to present the prequel to Monsters Inc., which came to theaters in 2001. Set 10 years before the events of Monsters Inc., we see how 17-year-old Michael “Mike” Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal) and 18-year-old James “Sulley” Sullivan (voiced by John Goodman) come to meet and the adventure that leads them into a great friendship.

This is the End
“This is the End” is a comedy film directed Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen. The film has an all-star comedy cast which includes James Franco, Seth Rogen, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, Jay Baruchel and Jonah Hill as fictional versions of themselves as they deal with the world collapsing around them in a global apocalypse. The film is based on a short film that Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel created back in 2007 called Jay and Seth vs. The Apocalypse, which was not released to the public. “This is the End” also includes others stars such as Emma Watson, Michael Cera, Jason Segel, Kevin Hart, Rihanna, Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari.

July
Lone Ranger
Johnny Depp is back in the saddle, so to speak. He stars in the new film “The Lone Ranger” which is based on the American Old West series of books by the same name. The film stars Armie Hammer as John Reid (the Lone Ranger) and Johnny Depp as Tonto, his Native American right hand man. The action film, directed by Gore Verbinski and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures, follows Reid as he goes from a man of the law to a gun-slinging legend and his u
nlikely partnership with Tonto as they work together to cleanse the Wild West.

August
Elysium
The upcoming Sci-Fi film, written and directed by Neill Blomkamp, is set in the year 2154 on the space habitat of Elysium where the very wealthy live while the rest of the population live on a dying and overpopulated Earth. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the corruption and disease of Earth and get to the Elysium where there is state-of-the-art medical care and luxury, but some in Elysium refuse to allow immigration to the space habitat. Max DaCosta, played by Matt Damon, is on a mission to reach Elysium to save not only himself, but also to help the billions on Earth. He runs into a major roadblock on his journey in the form of secretary Jessica Delacourt, played by Jodie Foster, who refuses to let him get away with coming to Elysium and bringing Earth’s corruption and sickness along with him.

Kick-Ass 2
Based on the comic book of the same name, “Kick-Ass 2,” is the sequel to the 2010 film “Kick Ass.” This superhero action comedy is written and directed by Jeff Wadlow and stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Chloe Grace Moretz who play Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl. After the first film and the creation of the hero “Kick Ass,” more heroes begin to emerge and take a stand against crime. Kick-Ass teams up with Colonel Stars and Stripes, played by Jim Carrey, and begins a league of justice. While Red Mist, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse, exacts his revenge on the superhero who thwarted his plans in the first film.

The To-Do List
“The To-Do List” is an upcoming romantic comedy directed by Maggie Carey and starring Aubrey Plaza as Brandy Klark. Klark feels she must experience more sexual experiences before she heads off to college so she makes a to-do list of all the things she needs to accomplish before the fall. The film also stars Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Rachel Bilson.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
“The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” is based on the first book of “The Mortal Instruments” series written by Cassandra Clare. The film, directed by Harald Zwart follows Clary Fray, played by Lily Collins, an ordinary teenager who witnesses a murder and subsequently finds out her mother has been kidnapped. In an attempt to rescue her mother, she teams up with a Shadowhunter named Jace, played by Campbell Bower, and along the way, finds out about her bloodline and interesting past and becomes someone she never imagined.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
“Sea of Monsters” is the second installment in the “Percy Jackson & The Olympians” series, which are based on the book series of the same name. This film, directed by Thor Freudenthal, is the sequel to the 2010 film “Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief.” “Sea of Monsters” follows the son of Greek god Poseidon, Percy Jackson, played by Logan Lerman, and his friends as they travel to the Sea of Monsters in search of the Golden Fleece, often referenced in Greek mythology, in order to save an ailing magical tree that protects their home from enemies.