Sitting, waiting and wishing: shuttle fees on the rise

Gray shuttle

Student tuition and fees could, again, be on the rise to support upgrades to shuttles for off-campus students.

The Parking and Traffic Committee will meet on September 16 to discuss and vote on a potential 2.4 percent increase, or nine dollars over the next two years, to students’ transportation fee.

“These changes are being made because students demand modern improvements to the campus,” Student Government Association Business Affairs Chair Victoria Vazquez said.

Freshman biochemistry major Claire Stowell rides the shuttles to and from class every day and does not believe that the current system needs an upgrade.

“I think the transportation is good enough, so I don’t think they need to add more money (to their budget),” Stowell said. “I don’t want to pay extra for more buses or better transportation. I think it’s sufficient enough.”

Since the 2014-2015 school year, the total estimated cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate student at UTSA has risen $1,234 dollars, according to UTSA Financial Aid and Enrollment Services.

Freshman nursing major Torie Wilcox also rides the shuttle every day, but believes upgrades are unnecessary considering the rate tuition is already growing.

“I think (the shuttles) are okay the way they are,” Wilcox said. “I really don’t want to pay more.”

According to its website, UTSA Transit provided more than two million rides to students last year. A $20 fee was charged to all students enrolled at the school during the Fall 2015 semester.

Stowell may not think the shuttles need an upgrade, but she does wish the shuttles ran more frequently.

“(The shuttles) are good, but I wish they came faster,” Stowell said. “It comes every 15 to 20 minutes, but I wish it came every five or ten.”

Vazquez also added that it costs each bus $80 per day to run, and many students want a longer run time, so the fee increase was proposed to address these requests.