Student wins free tuition

Interdisciplinary Studies major John Graham has won the first ever Tuition Raffle. The winner was drawn Friday at UTSA’s Best Fest celebration by Mr. UTSA, Stephen Cheney, and Ms. UTSA, Becky Bromley.

The raffle was sponsored by the Student Alumni Association, a registered student organization. The Tuition Raffle was held to raise funds to support events such as Birdfeeders and Career Connections.

Student alumni Vice-President Amy-Marie Montellano said that participation in the raffle began slowly but grew as word of the raffle spread. “I hope we continue to do this every year; it benefits students and builds community relations with the contributors,” Montellano said.

Graham will receive the prize in the spring semester once class registration is confirmed.

Second prize, a fifty dollar gift certificate to L&M, went to Alex Cheng, and third prize, a twenty dollar gift certificate, went to Luis Lopez.

Graham’s winning was particularly meaningful for him. “The reason I am planning to teach Special Education is to honor the memory of my daughter Tiffany Rose. She suffered from Down Syndrome and a very bad heart defect that the best doctors could not repair. She passed away in her sleep in April of 1995.”

The Student Alumni are involved in promoting connections between alumni and the student body, school pride, and UTSA traditions, such as Ring Ceremony and Mr. And Ms. UTSA.