In Memoriam: Dr. James B. Gallagher

Dr. Gallagher instructed at UTSA. Courtesy of the Gallagher familly

A beloved professor and member of the UTSA community, Dr. James B. Gallagher died on Jan. 11, 2017.

Since his diagnosis of throat cancer in 2016 and throughout his treatment regimen, Gallagher remained dedicated to his students.

“Two semesters back, he came into my office and said ‘I have throat cancer, but it is not going to affect my classes’,” Eve Browning, professor and chair of the philosophy department, recounted.

“He laid out his whole plan: chemotherapy and radiation during term, surgery and recovery during the summer. The timing did not quite work out, so that the surgery came late in fall 2016, and the recovery was difficult.  In the end he was re-hospitalized for an infection and passed away in his sleep.”

Gallagher received his B.S. in chemistry at Union College, Schenectady, New York and his M.A. and Phd. in classical studies at the University of Ottawa.

“His first years of research were in materials science and polymers. Classical archeology was his second love and took over, but he remained very scientific in his approach to the materials of the ancient cultures he loved,” Browning said.

Gallagher enjoyed nature, particularly bird-watching in his spare time. His archeological research at the site of ancient Carthage allowed him to appreciate the outdoors for ten seasons.

Students and faculty alike will miss seeing Professor Gallagher strolling through campus wearing his felt hat and bolo tie whilst sporting a silver ponytail and Victorian chops.

The funeral was held at 5 p.m. at Mission Park on Jan. 20.