Student senators approve executive stipends

lindseyy.thomass
Graphic by Lindsey Thomas

The Student Government Association (SGA) at UTSA approved the release of stipends to the executive branch for Fall 2019 during its general meeting on Nov. 14. Members of the executive branch took turns presenting their exceptional duties accomplished during the semester. The floor was called to a vote for each member following questions from the senate.

Executive stipends are disbursed between two semesters and must be approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the senate. These stipends make up 18% of SGA’s total budget. Additionally, the senate is able to decide if the stipend remains at the allocated amount or increases.

SGA Treasurer Joshua Rebel will receive a $500 stipend with the approval of 24 votes in favor and one opposed. SGA Secretary Dylan Delgato will receive a $500 stipend with the approval of 25 votes in favor. SGA Speaker of the Senate Claudeth Garcia’s stipend was increased from $500 to $750 and was approved with 22 votes in favor and three opposed. SGA Vice President Carlo Garcia will receive a $1,250 stipend with the approval of 22 votes in favor and one opposed. Finally, SGA President Jack Rust will receive a $1,500 stipend with the approval of 20 votes in favor and two opposed.