UTSA community holds vigil for Cesar Caballero

Vigil held outside of Alvarez hall. Photo by josh peck

The UTSA community joined the family of 19-year-old Cesar Caballero to hold a vigil in his memory in the Alvarez Hall Courtyard on Friday, Dec. 6. Caballero was a sophomore student and first-year resident assistant working at Alvarez Residence Hall who died by suicide on Wednesday, Dec. 4. 

The memorial included Caballero’s friends and family sharing memories, attendees sharing memories and prayers, attendees held candles, a moment of silence and a balloon release. Senior Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students LT Robinson also attended the vigil.

Students in attendance were given resources on how to cope with the loss of a loved one at the memorial service.

UTSA released a tweet addressing Caballero’s death in the morning of Dec. 6, “We join the entire Roadrunner family in grieving for the tragic loss of student Cesar Caballero, who died by suicide earlier this week. Students are holding a vigil at 6 p.m. [Dec. 6] in the Alvarez Hall courtyard in Cesar’s memory,” UTSA stated in their tweet. 

“Roadrunners, we want you to know that you are never alone if you are going through a difficult time. Counseling services are available 24/7 at 210-458-4140,” the university tweet added.

UTSA Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. Kimberly Espy sent an email to UTSA faculty members on Dec. 5 stating, “As we come together to mourn these tragic losses, please remember to be sensitive to students who may be personally impacted by these events.”

Espy encouraged faculty to promote Counseling and Mental Health Services to students and to utilize the Employee Assistance Program for employee counseling services.

Espy also called for faculty members to “make accommodations for affected students as they complete end-of-the-semester assignments and take finals.”