UTSA opens downtown campus food pantry

Xavier Richardson, Staff Writer

UTSA opened its second food pantry, this one at the Downtown Campus, on Feb. 20, in hopes of limiting food scarcity among UTSA students who frequent the campus.

UTSA did not return The Paisano’s request for comment regarding the new Downtown Food pantry, but the university has partnered with Whataburger and The San Antonio Food Bank to establish the new food pantry at the Downtown Campus.

Whataburger Vice President of Human Resources and Brand Communication Pam Cox explained the partnership.

“Whataburger knows that the dream of a college education can be so quickly derailed when students struggle with basic needs,” Cox said. “We hope this pantry will help shore up those dreams so these young adults can reach their full potential.”

UTSA opened its first food pantry in March 2017 on its Main Campus. The Main Campus location has served 10,344 students since its opening in March.

UTSA makes the Downtown Campus and Main Campus food pantries available to UTSA students free of charge in an effort to alleviate student’s food insecurity.

“We are appreciative to Whataburger and the San Antonio Food Bank for their support and longstanding relationship with UTSA … These efforts will help us address the food insecurity needs of many students, allowing them to focus on their educational goals,” UTSA President Dr. Taylor Eighmy said. “Partnerships like this are helping us to eliminate obstacles that can impede student success, and Whataburger’s commitment toward that goal is to be commended.”