UTSA adopts optional credit/no credit grading system for Spring 2020 semester

Breahna Luera, News Editor

On March 31, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. Kimberly Andrews Espy sent an email to UTSA students announcing that the university is adopting a temporary Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) option for the Spring 2020 semester. Espy said the decision is in accordance with the UT System Board of Regents’ rules and regulations and was recommended by the UTSA Faculty Senate and UTSA Academic Council.

According to Espy, instructors will be able to determine if their course best suits the CR/NC grading policy and should let their students know whether or not they have opted into this policy April 6-10. For classes which faculty members deem eligible for CR/NC, students will have until May 8, the last day of classes, to choose between CR/NC or the default letter grading system. If no decision has been made by the student by May 8, the default grading option will be enforced. 

Academic advisors will be available to provide students with guidance and necessary resources to help them make that decision. 

Espy said she is encouraging faculty instructors to evaluate their plans for finals and let students know what their new finals will look like “as soon as is practical.”

We hope this news brings a level of relief to our students,” Espy said.  “Your faculty are committed to your success and, throughout this semester, have kept your best interests at the center of their decision making.”