Dormady dooms Panthers in Brahmas’ debut

Defense captures season-high six sacks in win over Michigan
Rylan Renteria

Despite the loss of quarterback Chase Garbers who left in last week’s game with a season-ending injury, backup Quinten Dormady stepped up to the plate, leading the Brahmas to a 19-9 victory over the Michigan Panthers on Saturday night at the Alamodome. 

“This is what this league is, everyone here is trying to make it to the next level,” Dormady said. “Trying to showcase what we can do and a lot of people did that tonight.” 

On their opening drive, the Brahmas (3-1) marched down the field to capture the first score of the game with a 5-yard rushing touchdown by running back John Lovett. On the following drive, Dormady hit receiver Jontre Kirklin for a 45-yard gain to set up a 40-yard field goal from kicker Ryan Santoso for the 10-0 lead.

Dormady regrouped after throwing an interception in the second quarter by marching down on their ensuing possession and capitalizing the drive off on a 4-yard touchdown throw to receiver Marquez Stevenson. With less than a minute left in the first half, Michigan (2-2) got their first points on the board with a 49-yard field goal by kicker Jake Bates to shave the deficit to 16-3 at the break. 

The Brahmas offense slowed down in the second half, punting the ball three out of the final four drives of the night. Michigan, who struggled all day to gain traction, began to drive down the field after a quarterback change. 

“Sometimes when you are in the UFL and [with] how these rules are, people start looking at the scoreboard and seeing the clock going,” receiver Justin Smith said. “In the second half when we are up, we have to slow down and calm down.”  

The Panthers got their first touchdown late into the fourth after backup quarterback Danny Etling tossed a 41-yard touchdown to receiver Marcus Simms, bringing the deficit to 19-9 with two minutes left in the game. 

Michigan converted their fourth-and-12 conversion to retain possession, but the Panthers couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity. Under pressure, Etling stepped up to pass but was picked off by Brahmas safety Jordan Mosley, sealing the victory for San Antonio. 

“We have a strong pass rush,” coach Wade Phillps said. “I thought our secondary really played well today.”  

In his debut, Dormady finished the game completing 23 of 37 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown. Smith and Kirklin both had 100-plus yard games on eight targets. The Brahmas defense had their best game of the year, ending the night with a season-high six sacks, along with a pair of fumble recoveries and one interception. 

“We put a challenge to the [defensive line] this week to get to the quarterback,” linebacker Jordan Williams said. “Last week, we really didn’t get to A.J. as much as we wanted to.” 

The San Antonio Brahmas face the Arlington Renegades at 6 p.m. Saturday at Choctaw Stadium.